Forum home Problem solving

Rose Plant Problem

Problem 2 of the day. What is wrong with this rose plant. Claire Marshall rose standardr. I have had it about 2 years. It usually produces masses of big fragrant blooms. This year.it produced small brown weak looking blooms and the leaves shrivel up.and die after a few days.

I am watering it. Could I be over watering or is it something else?

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045
    How did it look in early spring? Lots of leaves and growth? or did it look poorly then? 
    What size of pot is it in and the type of compost? Have you fed it at all?
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • EmmaJHEmmaJH Posts: 11
    It looked well in spring loads of growth on it as usual. In May it got struck with aphid attack and after weeks of spraying with soapy water I had to spray with rose clear as the aphids appeared to be sucking the life out of it. I have fed it once but changed my feed this year and I am not  so sure about it. I have also had to remove a few very strong suckers  growing from the root ball.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,617
    I would guess you are better off squishing the aphids with your fingers.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,384
    If it's throwing up suckers from the root ball I suspect there may also be some root damage.  Can we have a look at the base of the plant please  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,179
    How much water are you giving it?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,384
    Is it planted in a container?

If so, what sort of compost is it planted in and has it had fresh compost since you first had it?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It is planted in a container. It was in a pot when I bought it that was about half the size. I planted with 1/2 canna terra soil and 1/2 regular potting compost probably from B and Q if I recall correctly. I would say I am giving it at least 1/2 a watering can a day. It is a the front porch of a South facing house so full sun in evening.

On examining it again yesterday it looks like the cat is peeing in it. Could this be the source of the problem?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,062
    It won't help but I suspect the main problem is too small a pot - so over heating as well as cramped roots and the wrong compost.  I suggest a much larger pot - min 60cms across and deeper of possible - and John Innes no 3 with about 20% multi purpose mixed in.   Frequent watering in dry wetaher and a good soak at least once a week with a bit of tomato food mixed in between April and end July.   

Don't spray your aphids.  Blast them off with a  hosepipe or squish with your fingers and then leave it for the predators like ladybirds and hoverflies to sort out.

How big is your watering can?  Half of not very big s not enough.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    It holds 10 litres when full. Thank you for your advice. I am off to look for a much larger pot a will repot and feed.