The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Anonymous poll - your watering habits!

Spill the beans.... What are your watering habits during a heatwave? I've not put anything about water butts because surely you've run out of stocks by now?!

Totally anonymous so be truthful!

Anonymous poll - your watering habits! 46 votes

I don't care - I'm going to use the hose every day!
26% 12 votes
Secretly using the hose in the evenings 3-5 times a week
28% 13 votes
I'm only focussing on plants that look thirsty with the watering can
45% 21 votes
I'm not watering at all - save the environment!
0% 0 votes

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 906
    Can I have secret option number 5? I've still got about 150 litres of rain water left that I'm using for keeping the pond topped up and for house plants/succulents or whatever doesn't do well with tap water.

I'm using watering cans for most things with drip trays under pots but I do use the hose once a week for drenching areas I can't get to with the cans. My garden has a couple of steep banks that I can't access with cans. We're a little bit cooler here than places at lower elevations though which has been helping a lot.
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,351
    I'm only focusing on plants that look thirsty, but with a hose....
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • Big Bang InflationBig Bang Inflation Posts: 23
    Is there currently a hosepipe ban in the southwest of England ?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,435
    edited 9 July
    I'm using a hose three times a week and not being secret about it. I have a small garden, mostly watering pots. Planters and beds once a week so far. That might well change. Also using siphoned bath water and kitchen water. There's no ban where I am yet. I agree it's good be sensible, so heading off a ban. I spent the weekend covering everything in garden grit to hold in water. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 906
    Is there currently a hosepipe ban in the southwest of England ?
    No but water companies are asking people to use water sensibly. Current usage is very high apparently.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,095
    Mine would be 3, but the hose is impossible as no domestic water except in bottles. Water for plants has to be fetched from the pond and is being carefully guarded!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,276
    edited 9 July
    In the four years I've lived in Wales, we haven't had a hosepipe ban.  I think it would spark a riot, since England takes half the water that falls on Wales.  I'm very lazy about watering at the best of times, but I'd just planted a new border when the drought started.  I've been watering the most expensive plants in it: three fruit trees, 24 dahlias and ten asparagus crowns. In the back garden, I've only watered my raised beds, which are growing spuds, beans and tomatoes.  The potato foliage is very wilted, it seems to lose water faster than the roots can take it up.  I'm expecting a harvest of, not so much pommes de terre as cerises de terre. So far I've only used rainwater (I still have a little left), bathwater, and dishwater, but I'm about to start topping up my little wildlife pond from the mains.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,487
    My answer is not entirely accurate as:
    1. on a water meter (I’m not shy to use water though, as we still save ££s).
    2. I started only watering pots but as the heat continued, the beds needed watering.
    3. I haven’t been watering grass (except for a particularly dead bit and the odd bit whilst walking over with the hose). 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,914
    edited 9 July
    Fire said:
    I'm using a hose three times a week and not being secret about it. I have a small garden, mostly watering pots. Planters and beds once a week so far. That might well change. Also using siphoned bath water and kitchen water. There's no ban where I am yet. I agree it's good be sensible, so heading off a ban. I spent the weekend covering everything in garden grit to hold in water. 
    The poll really needs a 'none of the above'.  :)

Our water is metered and I'm doing pretty much the same Fire ... except that most of my hose watering is for vegetables and as the farmers can irrigate I will water my veg ... ornamentals in containers are being watered by watering can/kitchen water etc  ... I've used the soaker hose on one border just a couple of times this year ... I understand from a friend who works for one of the water companies that the problem in most areas is not insufficient water, it's more to do with the rate at which water is being drawn off, leading to pressure problems.

We have well established 'lawns' ... currently the colour of cardboard.  I will not water them.

If there is a hose pipe ban I will of course obey it ... always have, always will. 

I still have one butt left full of rainwater which I'm keeping for the blueberries.  
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,435
    "England takes half the water that falls on Wales".

Hopefully, 'pays for' rather than nicks. These days. A Welsh hosepipe ban does sound like an oxymoron, but then so an Irish one.