Forum home Wildlife gardening

Horse flies

2»

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343
    Can you keep them over there please. I don't want them. I get bit bad enough by little midges.  A lot of horsey people used to come in for bottles of citronella oil to put on horses rugs to keep flies off in summer. Apparently it is no longer allowed to be sold as an insect repellant (not tested as such to EU standards), so you will find it labelled as aromatherapy oil. I  smear it around liberally on wooden surfaces when we are on holiday. (door frames, window frames etc.)
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Can you keep them over there please. I don't want them. I get bit bad enough by little midges.  A lot of horsey people used to come in for bottles of citronella oil to put on horses rugs to keep flies off in summer. Apparently it is no longer allowed to be sold as an insect repellant (not tested as such to EU standards), so you will find it labelled as aromatherapy oil. I  smear it around liberally on wooden surfaces when we are on holiday. (door frames, window frames etc.)
    That's odd because they sell citronella in Belgium and Holland. 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 959
    Many years ago when working with horses in the field haymaking, always had a bottle of parrafin, and a piece of rag to dap on the horses rump, didn't fancy dabbing myself, whenever I smell parrafin I remember those days
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,031
    Citronella freely available here in Spain too, as insect repellent candles or oil from chemists. Only the UK is daft enough to actually follow EU rules.