Horse flies

Since moving to my present house I have had no problem with mozzies etc. but this year I am plagued with horse flies as is my daughter who lives locally near me. I was swatting constantly yesterday when trying to pick the blackcurrants.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,864
    Yup, worst year ever here. No more horses than usual.🧐
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,126
    We get them too, along withe other biting beasties so I've taken to using an insect repellent spray.  Works a treat when I'm down n the veggie plot which is in front of next door's cow barns and home paddocks.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,258
    I got bitten to bits picking fruit last week. We've also started getting these guys now too, they're like horse flies on sterioids. :#  So far I've managed to avoid a nibble but I imagine they could take your whole arm off if they wanted.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,529
    Yes - we're getting them very bad this year and also some of those monsters. What are those?
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
    One of the giant horse flies. I think they prefer cows over anything else but I'm not going to risk a bite from something that can punch a hole through leather. :o
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,864
    Maybe what is known as a Bot fly.
    Especially fond of getting you on your bot.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,372
    Christos.
  • I have bites all over my arms and legs. Am thinking twice about trying to pick the redcurrants
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,593
    That's not a bot fly but I don't know what it is. Never seen so many horse flies as this year.
    I think it is Tabanus sudeticus the giant dark horse fly. The biggest fly in Europe apparently B)