Forum home Plants

How to grow and choose Angelica?

MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
Which variety would you recommend, plain yellow/green or red gigas?
How and where should I start? Seeds, small plants etc? 
And when should I start?
Thanks.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,980
    You only need one plant, every year thereafter you will have to weed some out!
    You could probably start a few seeds now, as mine has set seed and will be dropping them soon - if I don't cut it down first! They are big plants and look better uncrowded.

As for green or red , it really depends on what effect you are after. The red is a stunning architectural plant, the green is just as good a shape, but less in your face.
    Mine is green, as I keep hoping that one day I will get around to candying the stems - you hardly ever see proper candied angelica now and I love it.
  • It’s a beautiful plant but be careful if you cut it when it’s sunny. I did and unbeknown to me some sap must have gotten on my skin and the next day I ended up with sore blisters that turned out to be known as phytophotodermatitis. The soreness took about 1-2 weeks to calm down but the redness took about twelve months. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/toxic-plants-a-growing-danger-2036131.html%3famp

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,910
    I planted mine last year but this year it couldn't get off the ground. It was coated in slugs every evening. I tried everything but it was their go to plant this spring. Just keep an eye out.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,853
    If you are growing from seed, it needs to be fresh seed sown at once. Dried out seed sown the following Spring will not germinate.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,419
    It's definitely a slug banquet!
    A beautiful plant if you can protect it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Thank you. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,980
    Apart from the first one, which I planted, mine have seeded themselves and come up in the grass. I leave one or two that are in suitable positions and remove the others.
    Even in this wet and sluggy garden have never had a problem with them. The current one however is suffering from its encounters from my rogue sheep!
    Oh to have a rogue sheep... :)
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    Mine is in an old wooden crate! Works well
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
    Is that the sheep or angelica lillypilly?