Forum home Fruit & veg

Hampshire Hogs new allotment.

Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
Took the patch over a few months ago. it has not been cultivated for many years.

The chap before use to grow perennial plants in pots and the area was used to store them.

One advantage is that he did cover it in weed suppressing fabric so in the most part the area is weed free but on the down side the ground is now so compacted that its like concrete and with all this dry weather is just impossible to dig so as much as I like the sun and warmth rain would be most welcome.

The site came with a rickety but serviceable old shed  :/ and a sound 1000 lt water tank.
I have turned the shed around and it still leans to one side but once the water tank is empty I will move it to support the shed :)

I did plant a few pumpkins (Atlantic Giant) early on and have three tomato plants (Gardeners Delight) both the pumpkins and tomatoes have fruit so although it is a bit of a mess I will I hope get something from the site this year.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,821
    Hi HHog  :)    So this is the allotment you've been telling us about  :)  I've seen much worse ... as you say with luck there's not a load of perennial weeds in there, and a shed and a big water tank are worth their weight in gold ... the tank is of course worth much more full than empty this year.   What variety of pumpkin have you got there ... the big orange jobs or something else?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    Hi Dove, yes this is it I took it on planted the few veg then went off on holiday for six weeks, so only just really got going with tidying it up but its just so hot that I only get a few hours early morning or in the evening but I'm in no hurry.
    The Pumpkins are Atlantic Giant but I don't think I will get massive ones this year but a few would be nice for roasting, soup, and chutney later on.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,072
    Hello great looking plot, helpful that it has been covered - can you water a patch make soil softer then dig a little
    Your pumpkin does look like it is growing well, nice colour on the shed - lucky that it is ok to use

What size is your plot?
    Hampshire Gardener
    Been away again had a friend watering the allotment thankfully.

Just returned and have my first two tomatoes  :) the pumpkins are growing well and I have two on one plant and one on the other, have been removing others as I want to grow them as big as I can for the autumn show.
    Gardengirl the plot is a just over half a full allotment.
    It is 127.5 sq mts  15mts x 8.5 mts a full allotment is 250sq mts
    Have ordered the new polytunnel after a lot of reading and consideration gone for a 6mt x 3mt I want room to grow in it all the year around and for small potting bench and seedlings.
    So that's where I am at the moment I have no plans to go away again for a few months so hope to get things moving.

Spent a couple of hours at the allotment early this morning clearing up and trying to level the ground for the new polytunnel.
    The ground is very hard and dry, chatting to one of the other allotment chaps who's a ardent weather watcher / recorder apparently we are 118mm 
    short of the average rainfall here so far this year and we have had none since the middle of May :/

Still not all bad news the pumpkins are loving the sunshine and tomatoes are ripening nicely  :)
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,072
    That sounds good, nice when you have a polytunnel up
    Hampshire Gardener
    Gardengirl, That's my main priority just now.

I hope to get the ground leveled and it all assembled and secured down by end of September.
    Then I can get the interior sorted ready for next spring and with a bit of luck even have a few bags of potatoes growing in there for this christmas :)
    Been to the allotment early mornings lately just watering and gradually levelling the area for the polytunnel until it gets to hot.

The pumpkins are loving this weather getting bigger every day, and the tomatoes are really doing well have a few fruits every day now just enough for my tea  :)
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,505
    You should mentally step back and contemplate what you want to see say in March 2019,,,3 years time...5 years time
    Then write out a very broad plan and stick to it month by month
    People take on allotments for many different reasons
    Ask your self why you have got one
    peace of mind....physical exercise...food to eat and save money....sense of achievemnt....better relations.

It has taken me 8 years to get mine to an acceptable state with choosing the wrong routes on many occasions.

Ask the other holders what grows and doesnt in the soil.

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
    NewBoy thanks for the advice but I have had allotments before even one on this site that said I do agree with all you say, they do take some planning.
    I use a computer based garden planner and have done for a few years.
    That said this time I'm not going for neat rows but am going to go back to the cottage garden, veg, flowers and probably the odd weed all mixed up and totally organic once the major clean up is compleet.