Forum home Fruit & veg

Kiddy Pool Gardening

I have a big got garden but full of builders rubbish so I couldn't grow anything in the ground I am disabled I wanted to raise beds but cost too much and you need someone help but my family, not into gardening. I sew on youtube how people used kiddy pools it wasn't easy to find them but I found I brought two £9.99 each I needed round grew bags and four bags of gravel. We put holes 25ins apart 3ins  high so if overfills water can get out. I tried to experiment one with gravel and other with soil. The gravel number 1 did great and number 2 soil one didn't do well soil staired smell bad and the plant didn't do well so I had undone everything started again they are doing great. I planted peas. sweet, courgettes they grow very fast they grew faster then what I have grown another way. I make lots mistake eg not putting a label on my seed when I sew them so I don't know what the flowers or vegetables look like. I know it only takes a minute to label things I am going to learn to do that next instead guessing what it is.  

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,925
    Sounds like you are working very hard in your garden.
    its a shame when the rest of the family are not interested, well done with the veg, 
    you could put photos on and maybe someone can identify what they are.

Cant advise you on labels, I must be the worlds worst for losing them or not putting labels on in the first place.  I always think I can remember 😀
    never mind, someone on the site can tell me what they are😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    That is awesome, well done for finding an inventive response to disability and shortage of funds.  Do you know about Freecycle?  It's a website where people offer things they no longer need and can afford to give away.  You can also request things you need but can't afford to buy.  It's a great resource for people on low incomes, and it keeps a lot of stuff out of landfill.  You might be able to get enough scrap timber to build raised beds, if you can find someone to build them.

As for mistakes, an elderly gent of my acquaintance was fond of saying: "We learn from our mistakes, so let's make as many as possible!"
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,560
    Fantastic  :D I'd love to see some photos - sounds like you're doing a great job of improvising 
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • parvinkaurpparvinkaurp Posts: 68
    edited July 2018
    My kiddy pool garden is doing better than once not in the kiddy pool my husband and my daughter water every day. I Planted sweet corn, sweet peas, morrows, potato in potato bags, I got mints growing in large paint round counters I am always looking for plant pots anything I grew things in I even tried my hand making pots they out very nice. My first one had builders sand and cement was heavy very so tried other with coconut soil and cement its come quite well I might make some more in the near future. I feel very happy I get advice from everyone make me feel apart of Gardener' World family thank you very much, :)<3B)o:) everyone   
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,267
    That  looks good - what are you growing?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,465
    Looks like some peas and sweetcorn from here ... great gardening ... glad you've got an efficient team of Under Gardeners  :D

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.