Forum home Fruit & veg

Recipe sharing thread

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,825
    I'm seriously considering bringing the plants into the conservatory @Obelixx to give them a boost of light/heat , it might be too much for them though.🤔
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,409
    Ours will stay in the PT.   Doors wide open at both ends at the mo as we've been warm enough nearly all summer and expect 35C tomorrow.   I gave it all a good long drink today so I hope they get going soon.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,344
    If anyone's struggling to make bread because of a dearth of yeast in the shops, tthere's always Beer Bread ......... I'd temporarily forgotten about it but it's easy as pie (well easier to be honest).

https://www.jamieoliver.com/features/baking-beer-bread/

And with off licenses being deemed 'essential' you should be able to find some beer even if you don't have a stash in the garage like my OH ... and you don't even need strong flour ... ordinary SR will do thumbsup
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,663
    If you make a sourdough starter then yeast is not needed for a nice crusty loaf.
    Making a sourdough loaf is a bit more faff - but I've got time on my hands atm...

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    edited 31 March
    Yes, we usually make all our bread, so I have plans to switch to sourdough shortly ... but I need to make a starter first. as mine 'died' when I broke my foot that long hot summer, and although I keep meaning to make another I've not got a round tuit. 🙄

The great thing about beer bread is you have a readymade starter 🍺 hic! 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,663
    My last starter lasted about 4 years then last summer is started smelling of acetone, i carried on using it but after a couple more months the smell of acetone was so strong I chucked it and started again. The bread was still fine tho as acetone boils-off at 55c.
    The starter changes smell and taste all the time. Sometimes it's a bit cheesy which I like at the mo it smells of meadow flowers with a hint of beer - almost spring-like.

I'll save my beer and drink it  :D

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Cheers!  🍻

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,146
    You bread bakers might like to try this.  At one time OH and I bought our fruit and veg from a local organic box scheme.  No picking and choosing, they just sent whatever was in season, which often included more leafy greens than we wanted to eat.  I was already baking bread for OH as he has high blood pressure and needs to limit his salt intake.  So I began incorporating the surplus greens into the bread.  Roughly chop the raw veg, put it in the blender with half a litre of warm water, and blitz it to smithereens.  Empty it into a mixing bowl, add yeast and flour and proceed as usual.  Also useful if you're feeding a picky eater who doesn't get their five a day.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,409
    We're not eating bread at the mo and when we do it tends to be a multi-cereal baguette with chia which I buy at the SM and freeze in chunks but sometimes the only thing that will do is a good, wholemeal loaf which, of course, I can't get here.

Then I make soda bread for speed or, if I have time, a new recipe using a poolish which @Dovefromabove kindly explained to me - https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/baking-and-desserts/spelt-bread/ 

Lots of soda bread variations on BBC Good Food and BBC Food websites.  Great with soup.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,207
    As of yesterday, yeast was still available from the bakery at our local Tesco (I only know because the lady at the next self-service till asked the assistant how to put it through (they were well over 2 m apart so loud enough to overhear without trying, even from my 2 m or more away).