Recipe sharing thread

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941
    Halve the small ones, cut up the big ones, add onions/garlic/carrot/celery/herbs according to what I have and what I feel like then cook  till it's all soft.   Then remove lid to steam off excess liquid and blitz with a stick blender.   Keep reducing till thick and then pot up in sterilised jars and seal.   I then put the pots in a deep pan of boiling water for 10 minutes, making sure they're covered, and then let them cool in the water.  That way they last a year - if needed. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Sounds good. Pretty similar to my tomato soup recipe, just a bit thicker. My batch of spicy ketchup is done. I’ll give the passata a go next week. Still so many tomatoes to come. I think 12 plants was too many.

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,077
    It's so hit and miss when sowing tom seeds as to whether you get 2 or 10 from each variety,  that it's easy to end up with more plants than you really need isn't it @Womble54 . I just can't bring myself to discard the extra, and as I have no one to pass them onto I plant too many. 😁
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Womble54, you think 12 was to many, I planted out 36 of three different varieties. As a first time veg grown I didn't know what to expect. I was in the garden this afternoon and felt a bit peckish no strawberries left, no raspberries either so ended up eating tomatoes and runner beans straight from the garden what could be better. I have been saving jars so will give Obelix's recipe a go. 
    I use the passata as a base for soups, courgette lasagna, spag bol and any winter dish that needs a tomato base.  Last year we had a huge crop of small tomatoes and they ended up halved and laid on trays then slowly dried out in the oven at about 85C fan.   Some were left neat, others were seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper and some had dried basil sprinkled on.  They all ended up stacked in jars, covered with virgn olive oil and given the 10 minute boiling water bath.

They are absolutely yummy and make the best bruschetta we've had anywhere.   Did it with yellow pear toms and small red cherry whose label I lost.  I'll be doing more this year as the neighbours love them this way too and the yellow pears self seeded so we have 6 plants this year.........  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Obelixx, I took a cake out of the oven and have just put some tomatoes in to dry out and like you will be putting them in olive oil. I have done some of the yellow delight which is a pear shape and and a cherry tomato called Maskotka. Still waiting on the bigger tomatoes to ripen. Looks like the sweetcorn will be ready over the weekend any suggestions on what to do with it apart from eating or freezing?
    Have just made my tomato sauce, just used toms, onion and sweet pepper to make a base.  I have noticed the Roma toms make a chunkier sauce, not as smooth as regular toms like gardeners delight and Alicante,  is this usual or did I get to impatient and bottle too soon.😁
    I think Roma toms and the like are just fleshier than the juicier salad toms.  Best for industrial canning and saucing.

I also use toms as a base for chili jam - when I can find good chillies.   Thin on the ground here and the ones I sowed have done nothing.
    My sweet peppers have yet to ripen ( red and yellow) There are lots of fruits some very big but no colour . This seems to be a theme at the moment  @Obelixx
    Just been down to check and at current rates I may get a pepper or Halloween!  And one off the other plant by Xmas.   Humph!