Recipe sharing thread

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,891
    Did you make the lime meringue pie @Womble54 ? I have enough ripe limes for another batch of lime curd.😁
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Did you make the lime meringue pie @Womble54 ? I have enough ripe limes for another batch of lime curd.😁
    Not yet. Today was my first day off in over 2 weeks. It’s on my list of recipes to try.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    This recipe courgette tian is the best I know for the veg.

My best apple cake - more or less foolproof. Good with kirsch, but I probably like rum best. Could add floured blueberries etc.

Ingredients
        •    130 g  all-purpose flour,   
        •    1 teaspoon baking powder
        •    1/4 teaspoon salt
        •    120g unsalted butter, at room temperature (very soft)
        •    140g demerara sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cake
        •    2 large eggs at room temp
        •    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        •    3 tablespoons dark rum (best) / kirsch / brandy
        •    cinnamon
        •    2 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Adding dried apple pieces can be good too.  Berries are a nice addition too.
        •    Icing sugar (optional), for decorating cake

Instructions
        1.    Prep a 9-inch cake pan. Preheat the oven to 180oC. 
        2.    Skin and dice apples. Cut small is you want subtle apple flavour and cut large if you want to eat chunk of apple. Dust the apples / blueberries etc in plain flour - do it now, not at the end. This is so the fruit doesn't sink to the bottom
        3.    In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
        4.    Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
        5.    Beat in the vanilla and rum. Don't worry if the batter looks grainy. Fine sieve in the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped apples.
        6.     Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with a layer of brown sugar. A little for a light crunch subtle caramel, 2cm for a solid crunchy topping.
        7.    Bake for about 40 minutes (to one hr) or until the cake is lightly golden and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.  The more fruit you add, the longer it will need to cook. Be aware that apples will be soft and sticky, so it can be tricky to see if the cake batter is cooked through or you have put the knife through a piece of apple. Batter is usually crumby and apple is more sticky on the knife.
        8.    Allow the cake to cool until just warm. Run a blunt knife around the edges of the cake and remove from the sides of the pan.
        9.     Using a fine sieve, dust with a little icing sugar. It's the kind of cake where the bottom can get quite wet if you leave it in the tin (because of the apples etc). So, to avoid getting a soggy bottom, cool on wire mesh or grill

Cake can be served warm or room temperature, with or without cream or vanilla ice cream.

Something a bit different to try with your broad beans.

Spicy broad beans on toast.

Saute some onion, when soft, add a couple cloves of crushed garlic, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin and oregano. After a couple of minutes, add your broad beans and some chopped tomatoes. Bit of water to loosen it up and a bit of sugar. Simmer for 5-10 mins till beans are cooked. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar.

I did mine with some toast, couple of fried eggs and some patty pan squash fried in olive oil and a bit of butter.

Broad Beans 🤢 sorry @Womble54 between them and peas it's hard to decide which is worse.🤢
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 738
    I’m interested in making some cordials with this years fruit. I have googled some recipes, but disappointed that they don’t keep long, which I expect is the quantity of sugar? Any ideas how to make a cordial that keeps so I can make a batch?? 
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 229
    Not an exact science, but we found this one this spring:
    If your radishes are too sharp tasting to enjoy, throw them in a pan with some olive oil and vegetable seasoning, (and a little salt) and bake at 350 degrees until soft when poked with a fork.
    I found the same problem @a1154 so instead I made elderflower sparkling wine.
    I tend to freeze extra fruit,  so I suppose it could be used as needed to make cordial when defrosted. 
    Tromboncino parmigiana.

Slightly random recipe based on what I had to use up, but worked pretty well. I used tromboncino but works well with aubergine (melanzana parimigiana), courgette or other summer squash.

-Finely chop onion, carrot, celery and Swiss chard stalks. Fry in olive oil till soft and starting to brown.
    -Add in chopped chilli and crushed garlic. Don’t let the garlic burn.
    -Add tomato purée, vegetable stock, a little sugar and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
    -Add in the chopped chard leaves and some orgegano, basil and thyme.
    -Simmer gently for about 15 mins.

-While the sauce cooks, peel the tromboncino and cut into slices about 0.5cm thick. Season and fry in olive oil till just brown. 
    -Lay the slices over the base of an oven dish. Add some mozzarella and halved cherry tomatoes. 
    -Pour over the sauce. Cover with bread crumbs and grated Parmesan.
    -Bake at about 200°C till the top is nicely brown. Finish of with some fresh basil.
    -Enjoy!

Looks good.😁