Recipe sharing thread

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 615
    edited July 2018
    If it was that low on sugar I would worry it wouldn't keep well either. I tried to make redcurrant vodka one year. I normally put fruit and sugar into vodka and wait.. but this time i had some recurrent juice, probably similar to yours, so I mixed that in, and now I have vodka jelly in the bottle!

Danish Red cabbage is made with redcurrant juice. it's a pickled cabbage recipe really.
    1 kg finely chopped cabbage
    200ml vinegar
    150ml redcurrant juice
    150 g sugar
    1 tsp salt

Simmer it all together for an hour or two.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525
    I do not know whether this will help but I make a lot of different varieties of jams.. As a rule I use 500gms of Jam sugar to 500gms of fruit.. Jam sugar contains pectin which helps jams set.. If its a Berry based jam I tend to crush a few of the berries to create a juice and only maybe 30mls of water just to start off the berries..  I can even get a reduced sugar jam to set replacing 50% sugar with a low cal equivalent but never by weight lol..  Boiling for a set only takes 15 to 20 minutes and if a blob dripped on to a cold saucer will wrinkle on poking with a spoon then the jam will set..

If you have any jam is quantity that has not set empty into a sauceoan and re boil to reduce the liquid content and then re bottle in clean jars, that works too...  Good luck..
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 331
    Love courgettes. Courgetti instead of pasta. Courgette fritters use grated courgettes salted then squeezed dry in a standard batter. Spice it up and add chilli flakes then serve cold spread with marscaphone or ricotta cheese or add dried 'parmesan' type cheese before cooking. A lady on the allotment of Armenian extraction told me about making courgette caviar. Good versions of receipe online. I use it as a savoury spread on toast. Keeps in a jar in fridge with layer of olive oil on top. Also freezes well and great soup/stock base. Enjoy x
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,230
    edited August 2018
    I found this recipe on here https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bc3pt

Kitty's pickled runner bean recipe

340g (12oz) runner beans
    340g (12oz) granulated sugar
    0.5 litre (1 pint) cider vinegar
    1 tsp juniper berries
    Fresh ginger
    Mint sprigs

• Top, tail, de-string and cut the runner beans to a desired length.
    • Pour cider vinegar into a pan and warm through gently.
    • Keeping the pan on simmer add the sugar, stirring until fully dissolved.
    • Add prepared runner beans and juniper berries to the sugar vinegar and simmer until just tender, approximately 8 min.
    • Drain the beans and pack them into pre-sterilised pickling jars.
    • Pour the sugar vinegar over the beans covering their tops.
    • Peel and lightly bruise the ginger by gently bashing it with a rolling pin. Cut into pieces.
    • Add a section of ginger and some fresh mint to each jar.
    • Seal, label and leave for 2 weeks before opening.
    • Refrigerate after opening. They should last for at least one month in the fridge.
    • Serve with cold meats, cheese or leftovers.

Think I'm going to try it ... has anyone else ever made it or anything like it?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have just made runner ben chutney for the first time. I used an inter net recipe, but spiced it up with minced fresh garlic, ginger and lemon juice. Result very good. Am going to make another batch, not sure what is going in it this time, except beans and onions. I also use cider vinegar and slightly less sugar as I prefer a sweet sour combo.
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    A simple pumpkin soup. I have also used butternut squash just as good. :p

A 1.5kg pumpkin

750g of potatoes

2 leeks trimmed and sliced

1lt chicken or vegetable stock

¼ tsp of grated nutmeg if you like

Salt and black pepper

300ml single cream

100g butter

Cut flesh off and de seed the pumpkin cut roughly into 2cm chunks

Peel potatoes and cut into roughly 2cm chunks

Melt 100g of butter in a large pan sauté the leeks gently with the lid on until soft

Add stock Pumpkin, potatoes, nutmeg and season bring to boil then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.

Puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth.

Return to pan warm and stir in the cream.

Then enjoy with warm chunks of crusty bread and butter!

Once cool if you have any left! You can keep it in the fridge for about three or four days or freeze it in batches. (Allow to defrost before reheating)

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,230
    Trying to use up the courgette surplus, I made a quick

lightly spiced courgette soup for lunch today. Wonderful

Chopped and softened one onion in a little rapeseed oil.

Added two large chopped courgettes.

Stirred in a generous teaspoonful of Rogan Josh paste

Added some veg stock to come about an inch or so over the veg

Simmered for 20 minutes until the courgettes were soft.

Stirred in about a tablespoonful of powdered coconut milk (my new discovery ... it's wonderful stuff to have in the storecupboard)
    and simmered another five minutes.

Blitzed in the blender and stirred in about a large tablespoon of creme fraiche.

Delicious chops
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,905
    edited September 2018
    I have been googling for recipes for green tomatoes.  The usual southern style fried green tomatoes came up along with chutney which I've done before and didn't like.   I've got 3 kilos salted with some onions to make relish tomorrow but I also found a recipe for cake made with green tomatoes.

Anyone ever tried one?   Wondering whether to try it out on my patchwork guinea pigs on Monday.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Thought I’d resurrect the recipe thread as this years produce is starting to come in.
  • Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Courgette, pea, mint & feta salad.

Make courgette strands with a peeler or spiralizer. 

Finely chop shallots and garlic. Gently fry the shallots and garlic in olive oil. Once soft add in some peas. (I used mangetout but shelled peas would be great too).

Make a dressing with olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, honey, lemon zest & juice plus salt and pepper.

Finely chop some mint.
    Mix it all together in a bowl. Crumble over some feta and a few mint leaves to garnish.