Recipe sharing thread

• Womble54Womble54 WimbledonPosts: 280
    Totally agree Nollie. Keep it simple. Let the veg do the talking.

I’d love to grow asparagus but don’t have the space.
    Bean salad.

I made it with runner and French beans with the last of my broad beans thrown in, but you can use what you like.

Saute the beans gently in olive oil and butter. When they’re soft add a squeeze of lemon.

Make a dressing with olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard (I used whole grain but French or Dijon would work well), salt and pepper.

Mix some finely sliced shallots in the with beans. Pour over the dressing and mix well.

Serve warm or cold. Went down well at our bbq yesterday.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,222
    Sounds very yummy chops
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Tomato and chorizo courgettedelle!

Sauté finely chopped shallots. Add chilli, garlic and diced chorizo. Mix in diced tomato (I used my first Black Russian). Deglaze the pan with white wine. Simmer till all the veg are soft. Season with salt and pepper. 

Use a speed peeler to make wide ribbons of courgette (like parapadelle). Add into the sauce. Just a minute
    for the courgette to soften. Squeeze
    in lemon juice. Garnish with finely sliced spring onion and chives.

A lovely light summer dinner.
    That may well happen here this evening ... We have the ingredients  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Big Bang InflationBig Bang Inflation Posts: 50
    edited July 2018
    No recipes from me but you may find this challenge I set myself last year interesting.

My challenge was to cook at least two recipes from every country recognised by the UN - 195 countries in all.

There are only two rules:

1. It must be a meal I have never attempted to cook before.
    2. It must be an althentic meal - traditional or modern doesn't matter.

I should point out I'm not a professional cook or a chef.
    So far I've 'visited' around 20 countries so I have many more to see. There is no time constraint on this challenge though.
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 746
    edited July 2018
    I’ve been looking for things to do with red currant jelly.....that didn’t set! Made it fine last year, couldn’t find the recipe this year, tried one off t’internet and got clear red currant liquid. So far tried....as a cordial with ice and water, lovely! And best so far over ice cream! Really good! So it’s a happy accident. 
    But I still don’t have a recipe for the jelly. 
    I often add red currant jelly to my gravy with roast dinners. I suppose runny red currant jelly would work nicely.
    I'm amazed that red currant jelly didn't set ... red currants are incredibly rich in pectin ... so much so that a friend who is a retired professional chef adds an amount of red currants when strawberry jam to improve the set.  

His method of making red currant jelly is thus:

"... when I make redcurrant jelly, I just heat the redcurrants (microwave first in batches, then when the juices have started to run, simmer on the hob until the fruit is completely softened. I then put the lot into a jelly bag with a jar of boiling water and leave to drop overnight, changing the jar as it gets cold. The next day, I measure the volume and use 750g to 800g sugar per litre of juice. ..."

So in your situation, I would measure your runny jelly and do some sums to work out how to get the right proportion of sugar to juice and boil it up again with the added sugar if needed until you get to the setting point ... it will set ... it must set ... it's red currants 

• a1154a1154 Posts: 746
    This recipe (which I have no doubt I’ll never find again) had a tiny amount of sugar, I think it was 80 or 100g. I was a bit unsure, as with a jam it’s such a large amount, but I thought ah well try it. 
    We have been through 2 jars using it as a cordial and ice cream flavour, so no I won’t redo it with sugar. I’ll get some more for jelly if mr blackbird hasn’t scoffed the lot yet.