Forum home Plants

Could forum members please identify this intruder

keepitlivekeepitlive Posts: 102
A few months ago, a plant appeared in one of my borders, which I can't ignore any longer as it is beginning to over-compete with it's neighbours. It's leaves somewhat resemble Comfrey, but there are no flowers. The fully-grown leaves are about 16" long and 6" across at the widest point. It has formed a mound about 3' across and 1' high.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,851
    It looks like comfrey. There is a sterile form called Bocking 14. Maybe you had a piece of root come in with something else.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Looks rather like the horseradish i have. Is there a photo of the whole plant in situ? 
  • keepitlivekeepitlive Posts: 102
    Thanks fidget. I have had a large stand of Bocking 14 at the other end of my garden for 4 or 5 years. I haven't knowingly dug up any root from it, but I suppose I must be the culprit.  :/
    Now I have to figure out the best way of getting rid of the new clump
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,896
    It's good stuff!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,851
    You will probably struggle to eradicate. I have some that turned up in the wrong place, I keep cutting it down and add it to the liquid feed dustbin.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3