Numbers of Butterflies

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,355
    It's dreadful here in Cheshire for butterflies . We have some cabbage white and the very rare peacock. Even the Buddleias don't seem to have any. 
    There were some lavender bushes in front gardens on my way home and at least the bees were all over them. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Peter HewittPeter Hewitt Posts: 133
    I have never seen so may cabbage whites there are all over the lavender bushes all so laid their eggs on my pak choi which are now been eaten by the caterpillars,have seen more holly blue butterflies this year but not many others. Pete
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,330
    I love your butterfly poem, @Fire.   :)

Not a lot of butterflies here, but there were loads in London a couple of weeks ago.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,392
    Thanks
  • Not had Gatekeepers in our garden before, I saw two today, also this lovely Comma.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 769
    I've seen a gatekeeper here too. First time. 
  • We must be doing something right Bijdezee - what was your gatekeeper settling on - ours was a bramble, but they appear to like the same area as the speckled wood butterflies.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,766
    I have never seen so many white butterflies , this afternon there were four of them tumbling around together in the air like a mini snowstorm !
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,392
    I saw this on my kitchen window today - in the middle of the day. I think it's the underside of a tiger moth. Is it odd for moths to be out in the daytime (undisturbed)?

She reminds me of a dancer at the carnival in Rio - hands in the air, jump up!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,747
    I like that underbelly pic, its fab, what a lovely orange🤠

There are are loads of butterflies and day flying moths in my neck of the woods now, but I saw barely any earlier in the year. I assumed the winter saw to them but then where has the sudden resurgence come from? Lots of variety too, some I rarely see ordinarily🤔