Numbers of Butterflies

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,485
    Over the past four or five days I've noticed a big increase in the number of butterflies in our garden ... not just the whites (large and small) but tortoise shell, red admiral and other brown ones to fleet to ID ...... lovely  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,392
    A huge amount here. Mostly white.
  • A lovely mix of butterflies here - mostly white but also fritilaries (not sure which ones), meadow brown, speckled wood, red ads, painted ladies, common and holly blue and a few other small ones that I cannot photograph or name (not much help)!
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 339

Here are some of my little visitors, it is lovely to see them. And when I am pottering about in my garden they just flutter pass. One of them is a Jersey moth. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 769
    Lovely pics Jacqueline. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,392
    What are the two white ones?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,382
    I’m pretty useless at butterfly ID but my garden is so aflutter with them at the moment it’s a bit dazzling to the eye, definite increase but I have a lot more butterfly-friendly plants than last year. I can name silver-washed fritillary, indeterminate fritillary,  5-spot burnet moth, swallowtail, scarce swallowtail, red admiral, other than that it’s lots of white, green/yellow, a sweet little blue and lots of brown jobs - very scientific! Oh and I know we are on butterflies, but we have a new resident family of Western Subalpine Warblers, which is thrilling! Bit better on the birds, me.
  • Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 339
    Fire I think that they are a cabbage white and a green veined white. I also had a little orange tipped one and the little holly blue ones as well. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,979
    edited July 2018
    Finally have a number of butterflies.  Large White, a few Red Admirals and now some Gatekeepers. Still no sign of the little blues. Haven't seen an orange tipped in two years.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    edited July 2018
    Yes, more than I've ever seen - even more than last year. The last two dry Summers have done them wonders here. Allow an area for long grass and some nettles.