Forum home The potting shed

Hampton Court Flower Show 2018

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,309
I went today and had a great time. I took pictures but am very tired so can't do all the resizing malarkey tonight.

Top tips:
Don't forget the sunscreen. I did and have the most ridiculous red nose with a fetching white sunglasses stripe at the top.
Do take plenty of water (there are free refilling stations, but queues).
Don't miss the plant marquee. It's always wonderful but will empty your wallet.
Do head over the long water if you need shade - there are plenty of trees to sit under.

I'm not sure if I saw all the show gardens (I refuse to buy a guide!) but of those I saw, while many were lovely, none were particularly inventive or original. Some nice planting, but some quite poor planting too in places. Still wonderful. 

Photos tomorrow. 
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    My friend Julie has gone for the whole week, with all expenses paid!  She manages the garden centre attached to the local branch of that national DIY chain, and they have sent her to run their stand.  Jammy, eh?
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,309
    Oh and another thing I meant to say was how much the insect world seemed to be enjoying all the flowers. I saw SO many butterflies all over the gardens, damselflies flitting from stand to stand, and all kinds of bees everywhere - they seemed particularly keen on the Warmenhoven alliums in the plant marquee. 
    - Cicero
    The Busy Lizzies garden, @josusa47? A nice stand to run as it has a little more shade than most!
    - Cicero
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,307
    edited July 2018
    Can you tell me please, does it still have a rose marquee in a big tent? You may not be interested in roses but there used to be one, and I just wondered if they still do.. Thanks..

I'm delighted you had a nice time, I wish I could go..
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,037
    The Rose marquee is still there. It was on the TV coverage last night.
    Devon.
    edited July 2018
    Yes it's definitely there. I'm sad to say I didn't go in - not that I didn't want to but I ran out of time :( 
    - Cicero
    Some photos from inside the Floral Marquee. Not representative of the range at all, more representative of my fascination with cacti and succulents!

Begonias

Mamillaria hahniana:

Rebutia 'Celebration':

Rebutia heliosa:

Senecio rowleyanus:

Cleistocactus colademononis:

Zantedeschia 'Starry Night':

There were a number of very interesting 'National Collection' / 'Plant Heritage' displays. Here's one:

So many nursery displays with so many lovely plants to buy:

And of course, classic Floral Marquee displays such as this:

- Cicero
    Some show gardens (I didn't see them all - ran out of time and it was very, very hot in the sun).

The Busy Lizzie Garden, celebrating the return of Busy Lizzies to cultivation after being absent for a few years due to Busy Lizzie downy mildew. This is a new strain which is resistent:

'A Place to Think':

'The Family Garden':

'Countryfile's 30th Anniversary Garden':

'Element Mystique'. This photo is very bleached by the bright sun - the colours were much deeper and richer than appears here:

'RHS Grow Your Own' garden - this and the Dig In area were lovely but I didn't take many photos!

'Health & Wellbeing Garden'. A really successful design, imo:

'The Landform Garden Bar'. Some really good planting here, moving beautifully from yellows and oranges at one end to whites and greens at the other. Wasn't bothered about the bar, but I liked the planting!

'The Oregon Garden' (I think):

Didn't note the name of this one:

Or this one:
    'Secured by Design' (lots of security ideas from Capel Manor in partnership with the Met):

I didn't note the theme or name of this one either. There was a kennel in it?
    'The Style and Design Garden':

The 'South West Water Green Garden'. Funnily enough they were watering it when we were there (it's mainly about managing excess water, reducing flooding etc. So of course we're in a drought):

- Cicero
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,037
    Love the "starry night" photo, and plant. 
    "Quaint and queer"? Moi? 
    Devon.
    edited July 2018
    Ha! I posted that one just for you. Glad you spotted it. Worth buying for the name alone, I thought.

There were two properly black Zantedeschias, 'Starry Night' and 'Memories'. Stunning.
    - Cicero