Spiders

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,879
That's it it's official the seasons are messed up! I usually get a respite from my fear of spiders from early summer till September.  All I ask is s couple of months when I don't have to check everywhere I go and everything I touch, but no all I keep finding are those long leg tiny body things everywhere, at least they are the ones that freak me out the least! Please don't let me find a big black one.🤤🤤🤤🤤

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,112
    I used to have terrible phobias with spiders and moths, I would go into complete screaming hysterics.   When I had my first baby I was determined not to pass those fears onto him and started of just looking, then touching the tiniest spiders and moths, I gradually built it up and now I can pick up anything, except Vine Weevil. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,879
    Well done Lyn. I can manage to put the thin long leg ones that look like a wingless daddylonglegs onto the feather duster and put outside but the black racehorses as I call them make me shiver just talking about them!
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2018
    Put a glass over it and slide a sheet of paper under the glass and then tip it outside. Works for bees too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,049
    When @WonkyWomble was a child she would turn white and tremble around spiders ... I kept trying to make them interesting and fun but didn't really succeed ... then she grew up and became a gardener ... she said that she realised she couldn't enjoy gardening if she continued to be afraid of spiders ... so she decided to stop being afraid of spiders ... and she isn't afraid of spiders any more  :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,851
    And husbands.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    It does seem very early for spider season. I notice them by me usually end of August. But here, last week Spider Time began. Now I keep walking into a faceful of web every time I go outside.
    B3 that is just too close for me to get!!!!!!! At least I'm beyond the time I would close the door and refuse to go back into the room until hubby removed it. Unless it's black  then it's Hoover  time, which is still  an improvement for me. I had read that the long legged little body one actually eats other spiders so maybe not being so frightened of them is a good thing. 🤔
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,205
    The long legged thin body spiders are cellar spiders and won't survive outside if you turf them out. The ones you see in the garden are harvestmen and they're not actually a spider at all but a totally different order of arachnid. Both are totally harmless. :)
    The big horrible ones are garden spiders I think. If it has eight legs I'm outa there!!!!!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    PA, maybe time to do something about the phobia?