leaf cutter bees

I've had a bug hotel for two years and until this year it hasn't been occupied, but it's almost a full house this year and my photos show you why. I have been fascinated watching the 'busy bees' disappear into the bamboo, then come out and cut the circular bits from the leaves of the nearby rose bush, and then seal the tubes closed with it. Isn't nature wonderful?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,006
     :D :D :D <3  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 161
    Love it. Swiss Chees Rose!
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    Superb! Love it 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,368
    Fantastic. I wish my bees would decimate my rose leaves. I've more or less given up on my bug hotels. :/
  • BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 169
    Wow! I wish I was lucky enough to see something like this. I could probably watch them all day. The bug hotel is a cool one too. 
  • BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 611
    That's amazing.  I don't think I've ever seen a 'bug hotel' with a single resident in it.  Although... I can't actually see any bees, how can we be sure you didn't do all that yourself, I mean, those leaf cuts are pretty neat!!
  • I have them every year as well, it's fascinating to watch them carry the cut leaves. Well done with yours and your bug hotel.
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    No shock that the year one of my solitary bee houses has wide enough tubes, I’m getting leaf cutters. I’ll be standing near one, and hear them buzz around me with a portion of leaf and disappear in a tube. Fantastic stuff. 

This shot was taken just now and a second bee exited as I took the picture. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 201
    I’ve got to get a bug hotel like yours, @diggingdoris
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 510
    Chris it was just a cheap one from Dunelm. I'm wondering whether to get another one because all the bamboo pieces are occupied, but the bees are still around.