Forum home Problem solving

What’s causing this on my Bay tree?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,676
    It looks like Bay Sucker infestation. The leaves usually curl up around the edge causing thickening and distortion. If it's not that bad, you can simply prune out the affected leaves. If there are huge amounts of leaves affected, leave until next year in early spring to prune out the branches. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,300
    When you have cut off the distorted leaves, give the tree a good squirt with the hose. You don't need to be gentle. This will get rid of the bugs on the rest of the leaves.
    Then all you need to do is keep an eye out for distorted leaves and nip them off.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I'm jumping in on this...............I have a few galls (I think they're called) on my azelea.......would the remedy be the same as above?
  • Trisha21Trisha21 Posts: 15
    Thank you Borderline & B3, I will get nipping!!! It might take a long time as there are lots and its a huge Bay, most seem to be on the south facing side. Thanks again 
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,676
    Mary370, it's hard to know what has happened to your Azaleas, and it might be best post a photo to be sure, but usually, it's the same method. Pinch them out and keep an eye on deformed leaves and buds, just cut out if you see them.