Forum home Fruit & veg

Plum resin?

FireFire LondonPosts: 7,320
Evenin' all. Does anyone know about plum resin? Today I visited a big garden where all the huge plum trees had drops of resin - from the unripe plums themselves - not the tree, it seemed. It was very beautiful and seemed like it would become amber-like when hard set. I have never heard before of plums giving resin. It didn't taste sweet or of plum juice.

I and a young friend just spent a very happy few hours climbing trees in search of 'plum amber'. Kids are so much more fun than their parents? And so much smarter too.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,782
    I think there’s a little wormsie in there....☹️
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,320
    ... would that be why the fruit had split? None of the fruit looked eaten from the outside. I don't think the worm could create the hard resin, though. Will it turn out to amberfied worm poo?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,488

CLEAR BLOBS OF HARDENED RESIN / JELLY ON PLUMS

Plum trees which suffer from environmental stress such as hot or cold weather, fluctuating levels of moisture at the roots or similar conditions often produce plums which have small blobs of clear and hardened liquid on them, the picture below shows these blobs on plums.

Resin like clear blobs on plums

There can be lots of them or just a few. As well as environmental conditions this can be caused by very localised insect damage or it can be the result of some other more serious pest or disease. The blobs themselves are not a pest or a disease but they are produced as a result of some other pest, disease or condition.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/fruitarticles/plums/pest-disease.php

Utah, USA.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,320
    Thanks Blue.
  • Crista1Crista1 Posts: 14
    They will be wormies inside, mine were the same 2 years ago, lost most of the crop. I use a sticky band around the tree it's supposed to catch them crawling up. Mine look OK so far.