Forum home The potting shed

Neighbour's 'wildlife' garden.

KT53KT53 Posts: 5,428
A few years ago I had my garden stripped out because many of the plants had been in the garden when we moved in some 25 years earlier and were very woody and well past their best.  Since then we've been slowly working to create a nice garden and it is still very much a work in progress.
At the same time, my neighbour had the bottom half of his garden cleared and started using it again as a veg patch.  He announced a couple of years ago that he wasn't going to use it for veg any more but was going to have a 'wildlife garden'.  Wind the clock forward to now and the 'wildlife garden' consists of an area approximately 40 feet by 30 feet of brambles, dock, nettles, ivy and just about every other weed known to man.  He doesn't cut any of it back so it's growing into all the gardens around him, mine included.  Many of the weeds now have huge seed heads so the consequences are obvious.  He has ignored all suggestions from his children to keep it under control.  It's not a case that he isn't able as he is retired and plays golf at least twice a week.
I'm aware that there is actually very little I can do about it, but hopefully venting will make me feel a little better.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited July 2018
    I’m afraid that’s all you can do, old bean.

He wanted a wildlife garden and I’m pretty sure that’s what he now has.

Very annoying for you all that you have to join in though.

The lower two thirds of my garden are uncultivated but I do deadhead the worst offenders such as dandelions. But since I left it alone I have noticed some really interesting insects and a couple of unusual plants, such as twayblade orchids.

Just try to think of the beneficial insect life that he might have encouraged.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,428
    I wouldn't mind it at all if he just did a little to control it.  The brambles are over 8 feet high and are the predominant plant in that 40 by 30 area.  They are literally starting to grow through a close boarded fence.  Dandelions wouldn't stand a chance.  Wildflower meadow it ain't. :/
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Might he take notice if all the neighbours affected got together and wrote him a letter explaining the difficulty he's causing?
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,034
    Is it his own property or rented? 
    His own property, and I just looked out the window and saw him down the bottom of the garden chopping stuff back!  I don't know how much he has done, but that is a wierd coincidence.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    Maybe he us a forum member and recognised himself!
    Possible but very unlikely.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,943
    Maybe have a chat with him about the situ.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    And offer him some help to clear it?
  • We have a similar neighbour. Glyphosate sprayed at the base of a hedge which divides our gardens works wonders. Also ivy which tries to work its way through a larch lap fence gets the same treatment. Brambles are part of the mixed hegde an just need some simple pruning and re-directing.