Swallowtail butterfly

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 430
Just seen one in my garden showing a lot of interest in the fennel and dill which are about to flower. Hope it comes back. Its the first time I've seen one in this area of Belgium, near the coast. We used to get them all the time when we were further inland
 One year we found a lot of their caterpillars and took one to keep overwinter, it was fascinating to see it developing. In spring emerged a beautiful adult which we released. 

I have the photos on my PC, i will transfer them and upload them here. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,579
    edited 1 July
    How lovely ... they're rare over here, although they do occur near us

https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/wildlife-in-norfolk/species-explorer/terrestrial-invertebrates/swallowtail-butterfly

Not often seen tho'

Last year selfish idiots dug up milk parsley with the eggs on from the Nature Reserve  where they are protected >:)
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 430
    Here are the photos

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 543
    Glorious! Never seen one, on the wish list 
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,358
    Beautiful
    They are so beautiful  B)
    "...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 430
    First time we saw them they were on my carrots, next time it was fennel and viburnum  which surprised me. Their flight is quite distinctive and size of couse alerts you immediately that its something out if the ordinary. 
    I remember seeing just a few during a boating holiday on the Broads ... as you say, their flight is quite distinctive  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 13,369
    We had the caterpillars just one year in my Belgian garden so I grew fennel every year thereafter in the hope they'd come back.  All I saw tho were a couple of isolated butterflies and none in more recent years.   Not seen any here yet but I'm growing dill, just in case.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,452
    They like milk parsley? I wonderful news. I have some and am planting more. I hope I can support them.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 661
    Well you could knock me down with a feather, here I am, sitting on the front terrace reading your post on my iPad and there is one on the Verbena Bonariensis right next to me! That’s the favourite plant of the scarce swallowtail too, which is quite common here, so I thought it was that until I leaned closer. Sorry for the blurry photo, it was moving too fast, but is it the same one? Never seen it before.