Forum home Problem solving

Problem with indoor lemon or lime tree

hello 
I was given cuttings of a lemon & a lime tree, do not sure which is which now 🙈 I think I this is the lemon - I feed them both weekly with citrus food, they are in the correct soil, one is fine which I think is the lime but this has white mottles/spots on - they are indoor on a sunny windowsill & this has just started to happen? 
Csn anyone help please? 
I water extra if they feel dry.
thanks 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,400
    Lime trees (which is the one I have) are prone to leaf damage. Will not harm the plant just looks messy.  They are very touchy, too much or too little water or even too much sun or too hot will make the leaves brown curl up and die. Sounds bad doesn't it. This is the most resilient plant I have ever had. It doesn't matter what you throw at it , it comes back. Keep going plant into bigger pots as needed but when it gets bigger will need a conservatory or patio window as it gets big it won't survive winter outside. Keep feeding it all year as limes don't have a down time and it's the only one I know with year round flowers/fruit ( I picked at Christmas this year) the lemon has a season so to know which is which will become important . Sorry it's so long an answer but I hope this helps.
  • So this is the lime tree? My outdoor lemon tree comes back every year, always looks dead & then all of a sudden new leaves appear, that’s why I’m trying indoors cos I’d love fruits off it 😊 
    we’ve had really hot weather here so I’ve been moving it back in case it was scorching, I’ll keep trying & thank you & I don’t mind long answers as it’s very much appreciated 😊
    The lemon naturally will loose its leaves in winter but the lime won't.  The lemon has a season for fruit but the lime fruits all year round so easy in the end to tell them apart, also that's why you feed a lime all year.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,941
    In my last house I had a ‘four seasons’ perpetually fruiting lemon, which does flower and fruit all year round. It was in a humongous pot which the movers refused to lift so I had to leave it, sadly. Am starting again with a baby new one.

Yours look pretty healthy. I found the lemon was a hungry plant though (probably because it never stopped fruiting!). In addition to citrus feed I had to dose it with a sequestered iron and mineral mix whenever the leaves started to yellow.

Interesting what you say about limes, purplerallim, I only recall I couldn’t grow one in my last place. Too hot I expect.
    They are decidedly touchy. Surprised about the lemon as the books say seasonal so that was why I went lime all year round colour for conservatory. 😁
    This is my poor lime after the heat got to it. Was getting a bit leggy and ready for a cut but trying to fit a cut in when it has so much fruit is a tester! A bit at a time as fruit on that limb is picked is all I can do but by Christmas it should be back in leaf and shape. I hope. 😁
  • This is them next to each other but they are on a sunny windowsill not in the table 

• The leaves are ok on one plant could I have over fed the lemon as I feed them weekly?
    Possibly. I think looking at them that you have them right as the lime leaves do tend to curl up slightly. Try giving the food a miss one week, but the damage won't improve its only new growth that will tell you for sure. It still could be sun damage.