Forum home Problem solving

Runner beans not setting

Help.  Is it the heat?  I am trying to keep the beans well watered . any suggestions? I certainly have enough bee attracting plants in my garden  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,141
    It's probably the heat ... try spraying the foliage/flowers with the hosepipe in the morning and evening ... keep the atmosphere around the flowers moist.  

Good luck ... mine have just begun to flower ............ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,733
    Mine are just flowering too. Will keep them moist and hope for the best.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,985
    The flowers are falling off of my Moonlight beans,and I've sprayed the foliage every evening.I'm disappointed in the way they germinated......... or not,and I don't have very high hopes of ever getting any beans 😞
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,553
    edited June 2018
    Are they the lower flowers that are falling off not set?  If so, I wouldn’t worry about that. 
    my dad always picked off the first lower flowers so the plant strengthened. Give them time. 
    Edited to add... are you sure the beans are not behind the flowers, they are very tiny at first. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Penny19Penny19 Posts: 48
    Lyn, definitely not as the flowers have died and fallen off. And it is the lower flowers. First yearn have had a problem so suspect the heat as something to do with it!
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,985
    Mine are the lower flowers too,but i will have a close look tomorrow with my specs on.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,553
    I wouldn’t be at all worried if it’s the lower flowers, like any other plant, it will be stronger without the first flowers. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 943
    I have always believed never to spray water on the flowers as this could cause flower drop, I only ever water the ground around the plants.
  • Penny19Penny19 Posts: 48
    Ha!  Panic over!!  Beans coming on like crazy now. Think i might pick the first ones tomorrow!