Forum home Plants

Clivia Miniata - urgent help required!

Hi everyone.  I'm hoping someone may be able to help me save my very poorly clivia plant. Having sadly found the roots waterlogged and rotten I cut it back to good stem, let it dry/callous a few days then replanted it hoping it might re-root.  Over several weeks the leaves began yellowing further and only a few tiny hairlike roots appeared.  I then read online about standing it in water to root which is supposedly very successful so placed it in a dim room in a few inches of water.  I've just returned from 2 weeks' holiday to see the leaves are now very yellow and there is no sign of any roots forming.  The poor thing has put out a flower stem despite it's lack of water and sorry state! I am anxious to try and save the plant -  can anyone offer me advice? Sorry to ramble on.....

• K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 555
    Reading up on this and it seems you need to change the water frequently so being away for 2 weeks wouldn't have helped.
    You could try again but expect the flower would have to go or just buy another!
  • nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 923
    Hi leeannelliott,..you certainly have tried your best to keep your Clivia alive,..is that image one of late?,..if so it looks healthy enough to have produced the flower,..however some plants produce a flower when it senses its going to die in the hope that the flower will seed and life continues,..lets presume you still have a healthy stem then i suggest adding some Perlite to your soil for better drainage,..dip your stem in rooting powder or rooting gel,..allow sunshine this time but not direct,..hoping this will save your Clivia.

I sowed two Clivia seeds in 2013,..they have multiplied to five plants this year.

• Thanks for your replies.  K67 that info is really useful - it seems rooting in water is viable. Yes the photo was taken today nulty. Stem is solid but it's just knowing which method is best as a last ditch attempt to save it - putting it in water again or planting?  Perhaps I will try to grow from seed - what a beautiful photo. I appreciate you both taking the time to reply.