Forum home Fruit & veg

Pests or not?

yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 47
Hi. Does anyone know whether these black insects should be dealt with and if so any advice? There are dozens and more on squash and poppy flowers. Flyers as well! Wife want too impressed with them invading the washing line 😄 thanks.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,898
    They are just thunder bugs, I think. Not harming your plants. They come and go.
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 47
    Fire said:
    They are just thunder bugs, I think. Not harming your plants. They come and go.
    Hi and thank you!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881
    edited June 2018
    Pollen beetles, and they're pollinating your courgettes ... they are your friends.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093
    I call those Pollen Beetles, otherwise agree with Fire
    Think hard before 'dealing with' they're all part of the cycle of life and if you spray those the beneficial insects will die as well 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,354
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Pollen beetles, and they're pollinating your courgettes ... they are your friends.  :)
    Nice one thanks
    nutcutlet said:
    I call those Pollen Beetles, otherwise agree with Fire
    Think hard before 'dealing with' they're all part of the cycle of life and if you spray those the beneficial insects will die as well 
    Thanks ... advice noted and yes, will leave alone. Cheers.
    :)

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,898
    It turns out there are lots of insects called thunder bugs and lots called pollen beetles.
    Fire said:
    It turns out there are lots of insects called thunder bugs and lots called pollen beetles.
    True, as with the use of proper names for plants. The common ones are imprecise and cover several species.