Forum home Problem solving

Hosepipe ban

Hi, I am very worried about the new plant's I have all my plant in pots now there is a hosepipe ban, how long before they started to die off.

Hosepipe ban introduced amid heatwave

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Water the pots with a watering can, bucket or whatever you can carry water in.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,837
    Watering can?   How thirsty they will get depends on what they are and the size of the pot and where they are sited - sun, shade, wind exposure....
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hi, I am very worried about the new plant's I have all my plant in pots now there is a hosepipe ban, how long before they started to die off.

Hosepipe ban  

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,009
    If they are nearby parvinkaurp why not use a watering can? Or a quantity of soft drink bottles? I use both and carry the bottles in my old milk bottle carrier (those were the days, when milk was delivered  :( ) just leave the tap water in the bottles for a few hours to let the gasses evaporate and all will be well.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • BenDoverBenDover Posts: 476
    edited June 2018
    There are currently no water restrictions or hosepipe bans in the UK*, and comments from those in the know are that there is unlikely to be any in 2018 despite the current hot conditions.  There was plenty of rain in the earlier part of the year to ensure there is more than enough groundwater keeping rivers, lakes and reservoirs full.  Of course, it always makes sense to use water sensibly like any resource.

* Correction - Northern Ireland introduced one on the 30th June!
  • Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193
    I keep a bucket in the kitchen and pour my washing up water in it . Never done my plants any harm. 
     Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    There is a hose pipe ban in Northern Ireland @Tim Burr
    SW Scotland
  • BenDoverBenDover Posts: 476
    Ah - thanks Joyce21.  Stand corrected.  Only came into force this weekend...  
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,891
    They said on the news that there's plenty of water but it takes more time than they've got to process it.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,228
    They said on the news that there's plenty of water but it takes more time than they've got to process it.
    It's been chucking it down since the end of last summer. How much time do "they" need?
    Devon.