Nicotine free!

• LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    My weirdest experience when giving up was trying to eat a cheese sandwich with my brain insisting it was fish.  

Now, I've been vegetarian for 38 years so I've totally forgotten what fish tastes like.  And I made those sandwiches myself so I know for certain they were cheese.   But my brain still kept telling me they were fish, to the point where I began to doubt it myself!  

The only explanation I can come up with is that suddenly I could taste the salt in the cheese much more than before and this confused my tastebuds so much it confused my brain.  Add to that the ability to smell much more and there you go.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
    edited July 2018
    The other thing was smoking dreams.   They are so realistic that I woke up really angry with myself that I had succumbed and had a cigarette.  It took a few seconds for me to work out that I couldn't have smoked cos I was asleep!  

The dreams are amazing.  The cravings reproduce the smell and the taste and feeling of smoking exactly.  
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • This helped me. Try getting a ironed pillow case and fold it to make a pad that you can press over your mouth.  Just a few times pull the air though to breath. It may get rid of the ache in your chest. You are almost though it, tomorrow will be better. Val
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,171
    Ok, confession time. I am a smoker. I said I would give up when I reached 50. That’s past. I tried cutting down to 10 a day - got myself a dinky cigarette case and filled it with my daily allowance. Didn’t work on weekends, I just refilled it. OH smokes too, which doesn’t help. Have read all the books, know all the techniques, but there has to be a will to actually give up. My dad smoked heavily all his life until my sister had a baby at home. He simply stopped - going gaga over my nephew did it.

You have my utmost admiration and respect. I am really rooting for you and hope one day soon I will have the willpower to do likewise.
    Nollie, one day there will be a little click in your head and you will think 'that's enough now'.   What caused the click for me was the day my brand went up to £8 for pack of 20.  
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,171
    One day I hope I will simply stop enjoying it, Laura!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,200
    Hi there @hogweed, how's it going with the cigs, or rather, without them?
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    edited July 2018
    My dad stopped his 120 a day habit the day my brother, then about 18 months, went and brought him his own cough bottle and said "bad cough daddy". That was it. he never smoked again but as Dove said, he always said that he was only one away. My brother and I never smoked. I didn't have to...I often wonder will passively smoking so many cigarettes as a baby and child catch up with me some day. 
    My dad lived till he was 84 and regularly over the forty odd years I would have a recurrent nightmare that he'd started smoking again. I would get so upset.
    Good luck with your onward journey @hogweed. Mint Imperials worked for my dad. Can you even still get those??? 
    ps and pure bloody mindedness of course!
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    Thanks everyone. Day 18 done and dusted. Am very grumpy and nothing is pleasing me. Just as well I only have the cats to shout at! My decision making skills have departed me. And so very hungry!! Going to the shops tomorrow to get lots of fruit and low cal snacks. Also phoned the Stop Smoking clinic at the doctors so waiting an appointment there. Feel as though I need some back-up. I am still surviving though! 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,914
    How is it going @Flinster
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller