Forum home Plants

Using spring water.

BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 174
Hi all, silly question maybe however I just wanted to check first.  My OH buys lots of bottled spring water usually only drinking half a bottle a time then as it goes flat on to the next nice cold one  :/ can I use the leftover water on my plants. Mainly house plants but if I can use it outside even better. 😁 thanks. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,188
    For sure. The water is still good to drink when it's flat. Just put it back in the fridge for a bit.

I try and use all left over water outside - from bath, cut flowers, bean soaking. It's all good.
  • BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 174
    Brilliant thanks @Fire . Never thought of the bath water e.c.t. much appreciated. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,668
    It might be a bit high on minerals for some plants but you can always dilute it.
    Thanks @wild edges I shall do that just in case.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,968
    Has he got more money than sense?  Buy him a water filter and tell him to stop burying the earth in plastic.
    not at all @josusa47 any left over bottles get used for growing my seeds, cuttings, used to water my baskets and turned into bug houses. Storing my water in and much more. But thanks for the concern. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,668
    The problem is that a lot of bottle plastic degrades over time. It's easier to recycle fresh, clean bottles than ones that have been kicking around the garden for a few years. Getting a few more uses out of plastic seems like a great idea but it doesn't change the disposabilty of it. I had the problem with yogurt pots that I used for loads of stuff in the garden until they started to crumble. They became so fragile that I couldn't recycle them so they ended up in landfill.

I appreciate the problem though. I've finally managed to convince my wife to give up bottled water and it's halved our recycling.
    @wild edges yes I see what you mean. Luckily we are not big bottled water drinkers, Just over the past week or so with the weather. Since then I've learnt what I can do with the leftover few bottles and any water left in them.  I would happily buy a water filter jug however it would probably get used for the next week or so then get shoved in a cupboard along with anything with it. Thanks for the info though. I'll probably stick to my collection of loo roll insides. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    Just refill the water bottle and put it back into the fridge, so he can drink that one next.   :)
    Utah, USA.