Forum home The potting shed

Weeds in potting compost

KT53KT53 Posts: 4,592
I've had far more weeds in my pots this year than ever before.  In the past I've never had more than the odd little weed seedling to remove which has most likely been blown in.  Today I've just removed a number of really well established weeds which I strongly suspect developed from weed seeds in the compost.  I hadn't noticed them before because the pots are closely planted and the weeds have just started to stick their heads above the other plants.  The large weeds are only in pots with new compost.
Anybody else had similar problems.  I've used the same make of potting compost for a number of years but the stuff this year has been very poor by comparison to previous years.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,737
    Been having weedy compost problems for years KT.  There doesn't seem to be a John Innes or Levingtons standard on the continent and they aren't the same as in Belgium either but all don't get cooked enough to kill weed seeds.

As well as the usual suspects the latest batch has grown me several ornamental persicaria plants, some of which I have weeded out and some I may remove more carefully and add to the three I paid for at a plant fair this spring.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw