Veg boxes

We have built some raised beds on a astro turf surface.  The beds are high so they are suitable for wheelchair users. I'm thinking we will raise the inside of the beds using bricks and ply to make a higher base.  In the boxes  we will be growing quick growing leafy greens and pick and come again fruit and veg like peas and Strawberry's.  It is a community garden apace so keeping in simple and low maintenance.

Can anyone advise on ratios of soil to use to fill the boxes please?  We have limited budget so cheap but effective is key

Thanks 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,399
    Are you on Freecycle?  Offers of builder's rubble and topsoil appear from time to time.  But you need to respond quickly, anything garden-related is quickly snapped up.
  • Thanks Josusa that's a useful tip
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    Do you mean raise the inside level with sheets of ply, resting on brick pillars, with a void underneath? If so the ply will eventually sag and rot with watering and the void underneath sounds far to tempting for all sorts of nasties to lurk so I would be a bit dubious about that.

Better, as Jos says, to fill with free builders rubble/broken bricks/stones to create a rough base that will help with drainage. A couple of drainage holes drilled right through the structure near the base will help to to drain off any excess water. On top of the rubble mix, which could be around a third or more of the overall depth, add a mix of topsoil, compost, manure, anything you can get your hands on. Local stables? If it’s a community project perhaps local businesses might sponsor a free delivery of topsoil? Free Council green waste compost? Aim to have around 50cm depth of growing medium on top of the rubble, which is more than enough for most veg to grow in. You can get away with a bit less if need be.

I would fill the bed to the top, water it in and let the contents settle a bit before planting, rather than plant then have everything sink. You will end up with a soil level a bit below the top, which will give you enough space to mulch and water. If the soil level is too low inside the bed, it might prove difficult for a wheelchair user wielding a trowel to access and plant stuff - but your WCUs should be able to advise you better than I on that one.

Hope that helps, good luck!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,194
    @seymourkerrie you can put in a request on freecycle too.
    You want bulk to put in the base of the boxes.
    You really only need good quality growing medium in the top 10" or so. 
    Devon.