Forum home The potting shed

For a better display of photos on this forum

Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,047
One problem is regularly mentioned here, especially on such discussions as The potting shed Garden Gallery. When a number of photos are uploaded, they are automatically stacked one after the other, without any visual separation. Of course it is always possible to manually insert a vertical spacing (by adding empty lines/paragraphs). But it would be far better for the forum stylesheet to do this automatically.

I suggest one easy solution to this problem. In one of the forum CSS stylesheets:
https://forum.gardenersworld.com/themes/bootstrap3/design/custom_flatly.css?v=2.5.7.5b339d3d
or
https://forum.gardenersworld.com/themes/bootstrap3/design/style.css?v=2.5.7.5b339d3d
for the .Message img element, insert margin rules, something like:
margin-top: 5px
margin-bottom: 5px

That way, forum members should not have to worry about manually adding vertical spaces and everybody would be happy!

For a better display of photos on this forum 15 votes

I support papi Jo's proposal
60%
LynLG_Alan Clark2  in Liverpooljosusa472oaktreesBenCottoSuesynLauraRoslinjasonrcbeer 9 votes
I don't care
40%
punkdocDovefromaboveSussexsunTulip18Pauline 7Jellyfire 6 votes
You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,589
    Clicking on those two links is absolute gobbledygook to me Papi, it doesn’t really matter to me what they do because I can’t open half the threads anyway, and there’s no chance of ever looking on Gallery or wildlife threads, the site just closes down on me and I have start all over again.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,515
    It takes so long for me to load one photo that I never get to see multiple ones!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,047
    @Lyn, sorry about the technical jargon which sounds gobbledygook to you. :( My suggestion is aimed at the forum technical team who will easily understand it. The idea of this poll is to gather a number of votes sufficient to put some gentle pressure on the forum tech team so they take action. From past experience it only takes one or two years before they react. :/
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,406
    I don't care
    Most unfair @Papi Jo, the forum team have strived very hard to improve the site and have largely succeeded.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,149
    I think the two options of "support" and "don't care" miss the options of " happy as things are now " or " I have no idea what you're talking about "
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,236
    I don't care
    punkdoc said:
    Most unfair @Papi Jo, the forum team have strived very hard to improve the site and have largely succeeded.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Pdoc.

This forum is run by a large commercial company - it's not a private forum staffed by volunteers.  If, when I had a business, I'd found anyone ... client or otherwise, attempting to 'apply pressure' on my employees I'd have been very displeased.    shock.

If anyone wants to work on the website then I suggest they apply for a job with Immediate Media . 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,236
    I don't care
    Hostafan1 said:
    I think the two options of "support" and "don't care" miss the options of " happy as things are now " or " I have no idea what you're talking about "
    I also agree with Hosta  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    I don't think the technical team needs any more work.  Remember this site is free to use and generally works well for both regulars and newcomers and occasional visitors.

If a poster wants help thru photos their own common sense should tell them to present them in a legible, distinguishable manner and not a mash.  I ignore visual mashes.   Maybe better to give a series of tips for new posters on how to present a question to optimise answers - including location, aspect, soil, close up and full plant photos with numbers and gaps.

Like others, I have problems loading photos thanks to a slow, rural internet service so I generally give up anyway or go and get a drink while they load if it's a garden I'm interested in.  I always downsize mine to make them easier for me and any potential viewers to load.   Simples.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,120
    Calm down dears!  Papi Jo has raised something he considers to be a problem and put forward a suggestion for addressing it.  Maybe the timescale comment was uncalled for but everybody surely has the right to voice an opinion - or don't they?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,589
    All I would wish is that they could have attached an image hosting site that automatically reduces photos, but they can’t, so no good wishing. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.