Pampas Grass - How do I make this more attractive?

• LuchrisLuchris Posts: 20
    What can I do with this ugly dishevelled Pampas? Can it be made attractive?  Will it revive?  I read that someone cut theirs right back.  Is that a good idea?  What exactly does "cutting back" mean?  Cutting it down to a couple of feet?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,405
    Assuming you want to keep it, feed it, water it, comb it (with a rake and wearing gloves) to remove old, dead foliage.

Some info from the RHS here - https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=2528 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,436
    edited June 2018
    As Pampas grass goes, I think that’s quite a tidy one. I wish I’d never bought mine, but as Obe says, a comb through will improve it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,850
    Or a match!
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,531
    You can take a hedge trimmer to them. 
    I've rejuvenated one by taking all the loose stuff off , then start trimming the stems back a couple of inches at a time . You'll end up with a white stump about 18" high but it'll soon bounce back. 
    The stem trimmings make great compost.
    Or remove it and plant something nicer in its place. ;)
    Devon.
  • I have a large clump of golden oats probably stipa gigantic. The top is wonderful but the clump Looked as bad as yours. Around the base I have planted climbing  nasturtium. It had to be helped to climb but the large round leaves with the lovely orange flowers make it quite acceptable for me. Maybe a solution for you - digging out would be quite a job.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,436
    Hostafan1 said:
    You can take a hedge trimmer to them. 
    I've rejuvenated one by taking all the loose stuff off , then start trimming the stems back a couple of inches at a time . You'll end up with a white stump about 18" high but it'll soon bounce back. 
    The stem trimmings make great compost.
    Or remove it and plant something nicer in its place. ;)
    I could put a nice orange dahlia in its place😀😀😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LuchrisLuchris Posts: 20
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  I will try and revive it and I do like the idea with the nasturtiums.