Water for dogs?

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925
Can any dog walkers advise me if they think it's a good idea to put a bowl of water out in my front garden by path for all the dogs being walked past my house? Would it be used do you think? I only have kittycats and a tortoise but I know my sister was saying it's a problem when she walks her puppy having to carry water and a bowl plus pooh bags and manage a lead. We live near a park so lots of dogs walked past every day and they must get thirsty in this heat. 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 907
    One of the neighbours here has a big bowl out everyday as we are en route to an SSI woodland where plenty of dogs get walked. I assume it gets plenty of use. Our dog is desperate for a drink during the summer months so I always have a bottle of water with me but I'm sure some folks / dogs will appreciate your thoughtful gesture. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,480
    My neighbour puts one out on the pavement for dogs, cats and foxes. It's a good idea.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,636
    It's a kind thought - but I wouldn't let my dogs drink from a bowl left outside. Your sister will get the hang of the juggling act  :) Adult dogs generally wouldn't need to drink during a park walk - they'll be OK til they get home. (Puppies need a bit more care.)
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RG, what would worry you? Would it change anything if there was a sign?
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,925
    Thanks Dave have put out a plastic bowl it's a bit late I know but dog walkers seem to be up and about early 
    Well if nobody uses it hasn't cost me a penny and we have foxes around who may be glad of a drink I just hate to think of animals being thirsty. I have a bird bath at my allotment and a little pond and also a terracotta saucer full of pebbles I keep topped up for insects to drink from. I imagine dogs are usually fine and sensible owners are well prepared but you never know do you? Even my tortoise gets extra water when it's this hot! 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,636
    Fire said:
    RG, what would worry you? Would it change anything if there was a sign?
    Someone with a grudge against dogs putting something in it. Never knowing how fresh it may be or if it's 75% other dogs' slobber. I generally don't let them drink from bowls outside pubs in case some wag has tipped beer in it.

I have a folding water bowl and most pubs and cafes that are kind enough to leave a bowl are also willing to refill a water bottle from the tap, which will be cooler anyway.

I may be unusually paranoid :blush:
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
    No, it makes sense.
    Hadn't thought of that maybe a daft idea. I just see so many dogs walking past looking hot and bothered I wanted to help but I am not a dog owner myself so hadn't considered all the issues.