Forum home The potting shed

New build: Suspect my soil is sterile/subsoil. Any suggestions?

Not a worm to be seen 😢. I would prefer to nurse it back to goodness if possible. I don’t really like shipping soil in. Any ideas would be gratefully received. We have put turf on a lot of it, so just the beds/veg patch. Thanks 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,975
    Mulch with well rotted manure. Build it and they will come  :)
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • Steph17Steph17 Posts: 21
    Thanks raisingirl. I will. I need to post this in the right forum also.....
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,875
    No need to repost it Steph most people will see it here. 
    Oh sorry, done It now... oops
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,514
    Mulch is the way forward, and keep things chemical free. If you can fit a compost heap in somewhere too then that will help. Our new build didn't have a scrap of top soil when we started 10 years ago and now I'm always amazed by how many worms the starlings can extract from my tiny lawn. All I did was heavily mulch the planted areas a couple of times a year. We also kept rabbits for a while which did wonders from fertilising the lawn although their hard work was a bit undone by their prolific digging.

Enjoy the early years of no weeds and no pests because they all turn up eventually ;)
    There are horses opposite us, so I think I might add manure to compost to get it going. Thanks all. 😀
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,319
    Steph, just make sure not to plant into fresh manure for six months to a year. I know people who do and have no problem, but the consensus is to wait.
    Yes, thanks. I am putting the manure into the composter with everything else, to try and really get that going. I know I shouldn’t plant our in fresh manure.
    I wish I had brought worms with me from my old composter, but I had enough to deal with, moving, and forgot. I have asked at the garden centre for worms (as they do aquatics) and they said they might be able to get me some. 🤞