Forum home The potting shed

Nematodes. I know it's irrational but.....

B3B3 Posts: 15,448
Ok. I understand that they're a great eco-friendly thing, but I'm really uncomfortable about using them. I'm thinking myxomatosis and deliberately spreading disease - not to us ,I know.
I'm happier killing something outright if I gave to.
Am I bonkers?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    trouble with killing insects is you usually kill the goodies as well
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    edited June 2018
    The nematodes occur naturally in the soil. You're just adding a few more, not introducing something foreign or invented. 
    Not bonkers ... you just need a bit more information  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 15,448
    I know. I know. I don't spray much either. I prefer to face most of them head or fingers on.
    I'm fairly vigilant so it's often one to one but I have been known to use ant powder
    But in my defence, I once poured water in an ants nest and when I saw them trying to save their young, I placed lollystick bridges for them to escape.

• AllyblueeyesAllyblueeyes Posts: 285
    Oh B3 I know how you feel. I’ve used nematodes when in utter desperation but when I googled pictures (I know, I shouldn’t have done) it showed slugs with the parasite inside and I could have wept.  Dove’s right though, nematodes occur naturally, I just felt so guilty 😞
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,448
    You're right, Dove. I really don't understand them. It's just a totally uninformed gut feeling.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,975
     :) you're a nice person. My Mum used to make toilet paper parachutes for spiders when she dropped them out of the bathroom window. You'd have got on well  B)

I think you're right to be cautious about these things - the law of unintended consequences is ever present. But then I read a suggestion of feeding ants substances to swell up in their stomachs so they starve, vs the nematodes "The ants do not tolerate the nematodes near their nests and move their nests away from these areas. Ants are not killed by Nemasys No Ants, but leave the area that has been treated." (taken from the sales blurb) and think maybe the nematodes are the lesser evil in that case.
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,912
    Oh now I feel bad about my semolina plans! I use nematodes to great effect with slugs didn't know they did them for ants I will get onto Amazon toot sweet! Thanks raisin girl 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,319
    edited June 2018
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,912
    Hmmmm if the ants just relocate will the other allotment folk fall out with me? 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,975
    I won't tell them if you don't
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett