Forum home Problem solving

Can you divide a camelia?

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
I have a camelia that has slowly been growing for some time (not fast enough for my liking but they say everything comes to those who wait!!!!) Anyway I was wondering if Camelias can be divided as mine seems to have two main stems both growing in opposite directions which means there is a gap in the centre. Is it possible to create two plants by digging out the part on the left? I know they are shallow rooted and often create new plants by layering but I want to make this plant more rounded rather than two branches going in opposite directions. Any thoughts? 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,542
    I have never done it before, but if you have two separate stems at the bottom, I don't see why not. Just carefully pull them apart or even cut them in half. A plant that small will be easier to do, and as you say, the roots are not that deep.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 254
    Would it be better to try it now or later in autumn? 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    No is the short answer.  Propagation is by layering, grafting, semi-ripe or hardwood cuttings.

The joint on yours is probably under the soil and does not have roots of its own. 
    I think it's a tough time to do it now since there is very little rain and with the heat, it will be a challenge. Autumn will be a better time. Keep them well watered with collected rain water throughout this summer to help the bud formation.
    Bit of discrepancy whether this is possible or not then? 
    Bagpuss57, I have never done it, but have to admit I have never had a multi-stemmed Camellia. Yours looked looked like a few young plants squashed into an area. You could scoop some of the soil down the base to have a look. If Bijdezee is right, and the join is just underneath, you should  try the other methods listed.
    Thanks borderline i'll do that and see. Otherwise I'll have to think of a different way to make it look more rounded. Can it be pruned to shape it?
    edited June 2018
    You can prune them to give them a more rounded shape but be aware that you could remove potential flowers for next year. Be patient and let it grow a bit.

The shrub looks quite small and the leaves are large for its size, so there is no need to rush into shaping it yet. 
    It's over ten years old but did start life in a pot until 2016.