Forum home Problem solving

Agapanthus leaves. some are yellowing

Growing agapanthus for the first time. Its in a pot in full sun watered daily but some leaves are now turning yellow. Any ideas why?

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,343
    Have you fed it - is it showing any signs of flowering?
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 369
    I suspect you have the same problem as me. Not enough iron and or sulphur. Going to try a good liquid seaweed feed. Unless some of the forums many sages can advice of anything else?
    Yellowing leaves on most plants can be a sign of a food deficiency of one sort or another. It's not the only cause - but without any more to go on, the obvious answer is the first one to try. A good liquid feed is a sensible way to go Jason. They aren't particularly greedy plants, but anything in a pot needs a bit of help when it wants to flower
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • GrajeanGrajean Posts: 293
    Thanks everyone. Will give it a feed, no signs of flowers so far.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,624
    Are you watering too much? Check the surface is dry before you water. I believe these plants are native to hot, dry countries and although they need water, they hate standing in wet.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,733
    These are my plants. They were moved here two years ago as I inherited them and they were in the wrong place. Since that time they have increased by 2/3rds so they make big plants. Is pot big enough,? Excuse dead looking bits they are the Alliums dying back.😁

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,356
    My agapanthus leaves are also yellowing and are in bud, so I will follow advice and give them a liquid feed - probably tomato feed.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,137
    I feed mine with tomato feed , weak, but at every watering during the summer. 
    Lack of flowers this year, is often down to lack of sufficient water and feed LAST season in much the same way as daffodils store food following flowering to help produce flower the next season.
    I might well be wrong, but I think feeding now won't produce flower this year where none are yet developing, but will certainly help for next year.
    Devon.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,733
    The first year I moved them they flowered but not as many, I put that down to splitting the group , maybe it was no feed too. As they were reastablishing they were fed so that may have made a difference. All I know is I am pleased I gave them plenty of room, they needed it.
    Is pot big enough,? 

Can't really see it? They are big plants. Contrary to the popular myth, they don't need to be overcrowded to flower. They don't seem to mind it much though, given enough food.