Forum home Problem solving

Two large diseased shrubs

I have two large diseased shrubs.  Can anyone help with identifying the disease and how to deal with it? 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,290
    It may possibly be bay leaf scale insects. Do you know if they are bay bushes? The insects are hard and round, usually on the underneath of the leaf. It's very difficult to get rid of them, as the usual remedy of wiping the leaves with methylated spirits isn't practical with a large bush.  I would suggest you dig them up and replace them with something that you actually like. 
  • jboljbol Posts: 39
    Lizzie27 I can't see any bugs but will google the bay leaf scale

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Not certain ??? But pic 2 has a look of a 'viburnum tinus'. Pic 3 is making me doubt myself.
    Could be under attack from viburnum beetle? 
    The brown blotches could be a fungal disease?

Either way they don't look pretty. If you don't want rid of them maybe pruning might rejuvenate them and encourage some healthy fresh growth.

Are they both usually evergreen? RHS pruning advice in the link below...
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=168

Kitty 2 I think you could be right, I have just googled viburnum beetle
    The bark is also covered in a fungus
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Fungus like mushrooms? That's bad news. Usually grows on dead/dying wood 😞
    Might be time to get rid and replace with something else? 

Good news is that Autumn is the best time for planting new shrubs 😊. Gives you time to refresh the ground and look around for new plants you might like better. 
    No its like a green powdery substance.  I have looked at this viburnum beetle, but I can't see any critters.  Will try getting a spray of some sort.  Some new green leaves are appearing so not a lost cause yet.  Thanks
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,198
    If possible, are you able to take a few more photos, especially the bark that is showing some type of powdery substance. Your photos look like two types of shrubs but it's quite blurry and so damaged, hard to know which shrub. They look very stressed and may need some severe pruning to rejuvenate new growth. I'm not convinced you have Viburnum Tinus though.
    OK will post tomorrow any help much appreciated