Feeding tadpoles

I know if left alone the strongest will survive but I wanted to ensure as many as possible turned into frogs so I fed them boiled lettuce to begin with. (Boil up old outside leaves, chop finely, freeze in ice cube tray and plonk one in every day).  When out of lettuce I tried spinach which was eagerly accepted then during this hot weather I was watching them while eating some watermelon when a bit fell in and they pounced, so now melon rind has been added to their diet.  Yesterday I had a bit of half microwaved sweet potato which didn't fit on the barbie and, guess what, they loved it!
Has anyone any other suggestions to add to their diet?  (I do remove uneaten stuff at the end of the day)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,195
    When we had them in an aquarium in the class room we gave them little bits of raw liver and steak.  Don't know if that's recommended, but they survived and turned into frogs. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,064
    I thought ones in a pond would be fine living on algae and then water bugs. I'm amazed you still have little tads in nearly-July.
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 267
    It's a very small pond and I am in Scotland so perhaps they were late spawn.
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 267
    Dove, I thought they were vegetarian until they developed back legs then they needed an omniverous diet.  No idea where I got that info from!  There are some with back legs so perhaps I'll add escargot to the menu. :-)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,195
    I'm talking about what we did when I was a child back in the early 60s ... afraid can't remember at what stage we gave them meat .... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Esspee, I thought that too. I did try fish food for the small tads, but they didn't seem remotely interested. Two of my small frogs are still in the pond. I hope some of the rest made it and didn't end up eating each other.

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 728
    edited June 2018
    as you say theyre herbivore until they get back legs or just before, then meat goes down a treat. A chunk of dog or cat meat, a chopped up worm, any little bits of raw meat all will be devoured greedily. Dont put more in than will be eaten though so you dont foul the water 

Edit: oh and some may stay as tadpoles until next year if they are late developing. Its thought that those that develop first release hormones into the water which slows down the development of the others. 
    Do frogs need feeding? I kind of assumed that in a pond tads and frogs would sort themselves out.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 728
    no none of them need feeding in a well balanced pond really, but adding food for the taddies is fine for a bit of entertainment 
    Mine is new, small and not remotely balanced. Do baby frogs need food help?