Irrigation system-Large garden

I would like to surprise my Mom with an irrigation system for her garden, 
It is a big garden and take 30-40 mins to water with a hose. 
Could anyone please recommend a sprinkler or irrigation system for a large garden?

Thanks all :)

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,040
    Hi DS. My first thought is that your mum might have quite specific requirements of an irrigation system. They have all sorts of quirks and possible options. They seem to work easiest in straight beds with plants grown in straight lines. If your mum has lots of pots or raised beds at different heights her requirements would be different. I would think it could be useful to give her a gift voucher for a system and choose one together, once you have worked out exactly how best to use it and what the specific needs are. She might also really like watering (lots of people do), but you would know best on that matter.

But then I'm a researcher at heart. Maybe other people would recommend one right off. If it's a simple garden layout, at one height, with a good tap, it might be straight forward.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 295
    i share the pain, 40-50 minutes every evening at the moment.  three different hose pipes and some more walking with cans, and i also pull a trolley with two trugs full of water down to an area....it's a pain....on the plus side, the grass isn't growing.  

i can't imagine any way in which an irrigation system would cover the maybe 15 or so separate garden areas (and hiding pipes) without me immediately spading through a pipe next time i am working in an area.

best thing you can do is maybe give her a hand if you're nearby.   or maybe add a further length of hose to an area which might mean less dragging hoses around.....and another idea, maybe more 'oscillating' sprinklers so one area can be done whilst you walk away from it.

finally, i think there's a need to remember we're having a very unusual weather pattern and whilst we'll see more longer drier spells, i don't think this (two month and counting) period is going to be an every year occurrence. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,356
    Have a look at this thread https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1015356/seeping-hoses#latest - it's the best option, although you may only be able to cover some of her garden, rather than all of it.

Are you sure she'd want this, by the way? I used to find watering my garden of an evening very enjoyable, when I had a hosepipe. It may be she'd like it for some specific areas - veg or pots, perhaps - but not necessarily all of it? It's tricky to get something like this for a gardener as a surprise - I think (perhaps you have) you need to talk to her about it in some detail.
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 4,538
    Any permanent irrigation system is much better installed when a border is first being laid out. They are really quite difficult to retro-fit. System I've used in the past required the main supply hose to be buried in the soil - that's very difficult if plants are already in the ground. 

It's a lovely idea to try to surprise your mum but not very practical I'm afraid.

If you're certain she doesn't enjoy the watering,  the suggestions of an upmarket sprinkler or other watering device is a good one. There are some semi-professional ones out there which should be serviceable for many years and will make watering less of a chore.

Or how about a new hose or wheeled hose-reel cart or a really good quality watering lance? A wheeled hose-reel cart has made a huge difference for me - so much easier moving the hose from tap to tap. A large metal one with a large handle makes re-winding the hose much easier and quicker.

Alternatively, if she does enjoy the watering you could treat her to a super-duper watering can. Haws metal cans are beautifully balanced and last a lifetime (but she would need to be happy with the weight and design).

It would be helpful to have an idea of your budget but, as a general rule, really good quality kit is so much nicer to use. So I would go for one thing but make it a good one that will last for many years.

You really need to have a chat to your mum about it. I'm sure she'll be thrilled by the surprise of you wanting to buy her a present and she'll probably get a lot of pleasure researching and selecting the right item.

We gardeners are not great candidates for surprises I'm afraid. Most of us are quite picky about favourite tools and different weights, shapes and sizes are a very individual thing. I'm really quite nerdy about gardening gloves.....
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thank you all i will make sure to have a chat with her about it maybe even just getting a small system. thank you for the advise
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,040
    As said above, even doing a small section of the garden with a system, might be a help.