Forum home Plants

Upright/ bush clematis

VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
Morning all, 
Anyone have an upright/ bush clematis in their garden? Looking at getting a couple for my garden. Any pics would be lovely. 
«13

Posts

  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Not sure that's a contradiction in terms most clematis are trained up something even the non clinging type will trail rather than grow upright.
    I would recommend going on Taylor's or Thorncroft websites they are packed with photos and info as you need to select one that suits the position you want to plant it.
    Mine are mostly late flowering so nothing out at the moment
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,925
    I have these, I grew from seed, just plonk in the borders. 
    http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-purpurea.html
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    Lyn said:
    I have these, I grew from seed, just plonk in the borders. 
    http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-purpurea.html
    The flowers look lovely, will have a gander on the site. I have seen a clematis fruticosa which would be fine for one of my borders I think but I've also seen a socialis but can't seem to find the zone it grows well in. Will have to have another look on the web later. 
  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    K67 said:
    Not sure that's a contradiction in terms most clematis are trained up something even the non clinging type will trail rather than grow upright.
    I would recommend going on Taylor's or Thorncroft websites they are packed with photos and info as you need to select one that suits the position you want to plant it.
    Mine are mostly late flowering so nothing out at the moment
    You can get varieties that don't climb which is what I'm after for my borders. 
  • Plenty of herbaceous and shrub clematis, non-climbing, what colour and height are you looking for, I will send pictures?  Fruticosa very difficult, socialis only grows to 2 ft high, from Alabama


  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,611
    Richard can't say so but he holds the national collection of viticella clematis and has many other available at his nursery, including herbaceous varieties, some of which can get quite big so still need support unless you're happy for them to scramble - https://www.hawthornes-nursery.co.uk/cpg/

    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96

    Plenty of herbaceous and shrub clematis, non-climbing, what colour and height are you looking for, I will send pictures?  Fruticosa very difficult, socialis only grows to 2 ft high, from Alabama


    Thankyou Richard, the only colour I'm not keen on is pink! I have deep borders of approx 2m so no preference on height as could go front middle or back of the border. Also have full sun and part shade borders so I'm quite lucky in that respect. 
  • VegplotmummyVegplotmummy East MidlandsPosts: 96
    Obelixx said:
    Richard can't say so but he holds the national collection of viticella clematis and has many other available at his nursery, including herbaceous varieties, some of which can get quite big so still need support unless you're happy for them to scramble - https://www.hawthornes-nursery.co.uk/cpg/

    👍
  • Integrifolia Group clematis Arabella grows to about 5 ft tall, non clinging, so needs some support, here growing through a metal obelisk in a border in the garden here.
  • Integrifolia Group clematis Blue Rain
Sign In or Register to comment.