Curmudgeon' s Corner. I blame it on the heat.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,438
    I agree that it's a great source of anxiety in a country that really doesn't need it. I have friends that don't let their kids swim anywhere, worried about what they might 'pick up'. I guess the dettol ads etc have worked. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,394
    I bet if they added a bit of dettol to children's drinks, they'd make a fortune!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,318
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Whatever happened to "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die."   All my grandparents were always saying that. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    edited June 2018
    The irony/tragedy is that all this anti bacterial paranoia doesn’t do any good at all for their immune systems. Get them to wash their hands when they come in/go to the loo or before eating and they’ll do just fine like the millions before them, and the millions in the rest of the world. I imagine it’s a UK/US thing mainly, I can’t imagine that it’s like this in the rest of Europe 

@B3 lol, I bet there is something similar already on the market 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,384
    While I was working in a maternity unit, I answered the phone to more than one woman wanting to know if it's safe to eat curry when you're pregnant/breastfeeding?  My usual answer was:. "It doesn't seem to do millions of Indian babies any harm.". Another woman rang in a panic to tell us she'd swallowed a plum stone.  Yes?  "But I'm pregnant!". Yes?  "Well, what about the baby?!". Relax, the baby's in your uterus, the plum stone is in your digestive tract, they don't join up.
    We had a traditional farmhouse kitchen ... piglets being brought back to life by being warmed in the Rayburn bottom oven, orphan kids being bottle fed in the old tea chest under the stairs ... bits of hay and straw all over the place no matter how often Ma tried to sweep up ...  :D

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942
    The anti bacterial products are on sale here but I don't watch French TV or read French papers or magazines - except gardening - so I have no idea if they're advertised everywhere.  I expect the hygiene/bugs/dirt thing is more prevalent in cities and towns where people are disconnected from nature.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    It’s all about control so my OH says, they can control the masses better if they are scared. 😱
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 10,394
    What I think is sad is watching parents in the supermarket who are obviously not well off wasting their money on cheapo bottled water that probably came from a tap in Peckham Springs.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
This discussion has been closed.