Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeon' s Corner. I blame it on the heat.

1210211212213214216»

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,182
    edited August 2018
    Mary370 said:
    Now the heat is gone..........what are we going to be curmudgeonly about? :p
    I for one will be carrying on my curmudgeonlyness because the heat has gone( it wasn't that hot anyway, it never got over 40C).
    I hate being cold ( ie lower than 20C) 
    Brace yourselves.
    I'm exceptionally grumpy because after working another 13 hour shift, I'm wide awake at 1am.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,260
    @Hostafan1. It does seem as if you have problems sleeping after working the long work shifts ...☹️
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I had a bout of insomnia last night.  The cyclical kind - wake sleep wake sleep.   Then at 7:30 this morning Upstairs decided to pray, very loudly, for an hour.   Right over my head.

I've no problem with anyone being religious but did she have to pick a deaf God?

I decided sleep was a lost cause and got up.    And now I could grump for England in the long-distance grumping events in the Grump Olympics.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
    I was still awake at 4am. grump grump.
    I had hoped to go visit a nursery on the other side of Exeter, but I don't know if I can be bothered now. 
    I'm flippin' knackered.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,260
    I had a bout of insomnia last night.  The cyclical kind - wake sleep wake sleep.   Then at 7:30 this morning Upstairs decided to pray, very loudly, for an hour.   Right over my head.

I've no problem with anyone being religious but did she have to pick a deaf God?

I decided sleep was a lost cause and got up.    And now I could grump for England in the long-distance grumping events in the Grump Olympics.
    Could you not have pulled yourself up to your full height, assumed your most dignified voice and 'answered her prayers' ........... that would've put the wind up her sails ... you could at least have recommended meditative prayers rather than spoken ones  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 6,395
    What's wrong with silent prayers?
    I , very politely, once asked a guy to "pray silently" in Doha  airport. He got up and moved seat thankfully. 
    Devon.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,892
    Mary370 said:
    Now the heat is gone..........what are we going to be curmudgeonly about? :p
    Gardener's World magazine? I was looking forward to the house plant article this month only to find it's a collage of pictures they found on the internet and a rather underwhelming how-to guide. Don't follow their air plant care guide by the way, there's much better info on-line if you need it. A lot of the photos used show plants in less than ideal positions and a lot of them are showing health issues because of it.

I guess my gripe is that if you do go on-line looking for plant info then you will find a broad range of stuff that is often hard to negotiate in terms of what is relevant to our climate and what is even actually true in the first place. Forums can be useful but the information given often needs to be double checked, blogs are often either recycled content or written by someone from their experience in other climates, they can be hastily researched and mostly aren't thoroughly fact checked, even the useful sites like the RHS can be confusing in some respects. The benefit of GW magazine is that it should be specific to the UK and all the content should be reliably fact checked and consistant. If it's not why am I wasting my money on it? :/ (Full disclosure: my mum buys the subscription as a birthday pressie for my wife every year so it's not really my money or my magazine :#)
  • NoraWNoraW Posts: 393
    Hello everybody,

I'm going to close this thread now, as it has reached well over 1000 posts (we routinely move threads to a new home once this happens). 

You'll find your new part 2 thread over here:
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1021396/curmudgeon-s-corner-i-blame-it-on-the-heat-2

This discussion has been closed.