Forum home Wildlife gardening

Learning

Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,843
I love this forum, I find I am learning so much about gardening.......soil, plants, weeds, pests, trees, fruit and vegetable growing (have yet to attempt).  When I really got into gardening, rather than growing in pots, over the last 4/5 years, I have changed a lot in how I manage the garden.  No more insecticide sprays , selective use of pellets (love my dahlias and lupins), I learned how to compost kitchen waste, I gather the fallen leaves for leaf mould, unbeknownst to myself I am morphing into an organic gardener.  I no longer fill my pots and 14" wide borders with summer bedding plants.......my borders are now approx. 1 metre wide, planted with a wide variety of small trees, climbers and shrubs, perennials, biennials, and annuals mainly grown from seeds.  I still have loads more to learn, my garden is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine and I love it.  It is still a work in progress, but I think all gardens are really.  Thanks to everyone on here for your shared knowledge and support.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,428
    I learn something new on here every day, and am also extremely grateful for those that share their expertise. 
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,790
    It's lovely isn't it ... not only are our gardens growing, but we're growing as gardeners too  B) tu  wave
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,840
    I've learned loads on here too.  It's great that we can all share our knowledge and experience or help research something when someone else is struggling or flummoxed.

Great to share triumphs and commiserate over failures too and we can have a laugh. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,058
    🌻
  • BurtsnestBurtsnest North westPosts: 174
    It's lovely. Sometimes as a beginner you can feel like you are asking silly questions (me a couple of months ago) however I've only ever had good helpful tips and advice and a warm welcome.  I too am now more confident with what I buy where I plant it and how to care and if I am in doubt I don't feel silly asking.  So a big thank you from me too. 😁
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,940
    And big thank you from me. Lovely people, helpful comments and I've never had a reply that made me feel stupid. Its also very good to see what other people are up to, often think to myself Wow, that's a great idea, and I am so much better at bug recognition (I think  :/ ) and getting better at flowers - not a strong point.

So yes, big thank you from me too.
    Haven't been anywhere for over five months but I'm here and I'm mostly happy
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    A really nice bunch of people on here and there's always someone that has the answer or a suggestion  :) I love that everyone is from far and wide too x
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    For me it's learning and spending after being tempted by a plant seen on Garden Gallery.
    SW Scotland
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 1,019
    edited June 2018
    Thanks from me as well.🐝🐞🦋🌳🌱🌺
    🐾 East Midlands 🐾
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,686
    I second all that. I am humbled and grateful at how helpful everyone is and in particular how patient the more experienced gardeners are with us newbies, no matter how daft our question are or the fact that they have probably answered similar questions many time before.