Forum home The potting shed

Site feedback

This was a "category" on the old website and seems to have disappeared, so I hope I'm going the right way about addressing my difficulty.  Some forum members now have their geographical location displayed alongside their username, but when I tried to do this, the site told me I wasn't allowed to.  I got the same response when I tried to edit my profile.  Is there some magic formula, or do I have to pass a test?  Or is it simple and obvious, and I'm just thick?  Or paranoid? 

Another question:. Sometimes I compose a post and then decide, for one reason or another, that it would be better left unsaid.  The only way I've found of deleting it is to save it as a draft, then open "My drafts" and delete it from there.  This is a new discussion, and below this text box, I have four options:. Post, save, preview or cancel, but when I'm responding to someone else's post, I can't find the "Cancel" box.

What is "tagging" all about?  I've never figured it out on Facebook either.  What does the tagger gain by it, how is the taggee affected, and how, if at all, would I know if someone tagged me?  Can I be tagged without my permission, and can I untag myself?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,665
    1.  I can't update my location either.  Some people had success by logging out and then back in again.. but that didn't work for me.  

2.  Just return to the main forum.. but you'll need to delete the draft later as it will haunt you on your draft tab.  Otherwise, delete all the text you typed in the box.  This is a hassle in the iPad, so I just go through once and a while and delete my drafts from unposted responses.  Cancel would be a nice addition.  

3.  Tagging is the star up on the upper right of a post across from the title.  Click on it, and any time someone adds to the discussion you will receive a notification (and email, I think, if that is set on your preferences).  As you do when someone replies to your original discussion post.  You don't tag a person.. only the discussion.  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,133
    edited June 2018
    If you tag a person in this way @josusa47, and they've got their notifications set to allow it, they'll receive an alert that they've been mentioned.

This is useful if you want to draw someone's attention to something e.g. if there was a conversation about Hostas I might want to alert Hostafan. 

I have my notifications set to allow pop-ups only, so I don't receive hundreds of emails. 

Including @NoraGW will ensure she's aware of this thread.  

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited June 2018
    I meant to say, you only receive pop ups when you're on the board ... not at other times.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Sorry, but I'm none the wiser about tagging; just more baffled. Onion says you don't tag a person, only a discussion, but I still don't know what happens if I do.  Dove says. "If you tag a person in this way...." so who's right?  

Dove, is it OK if I try it out on one of your posts, just so I can find out what ensues from tapping the star?  I don't want to do it without your consent, since I have no idea what I'm unleashing!  For all I know, people might have been tagging me left right and centre and getting the hump because I don't respond.

And how does one "include" Nora?  Anyone, including Nora,  can read anything I post, but no-one has to.  Do you mean I should send her a PM repeating my original post?

And does anyone else find it as annoying as I do that this site can't tell you your text has been saved without obscuring the last few words of it?
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 778
    edited June 2018
    @josusa47 , tagging a person just involves typing their username (as I have done here with you), they will then get an alert on their notifications to see they have been mentioned. Useful if you are replying to somebody so they dont miss it. To tag, all you have to do is write their username with the @ symbol in front of it.
    The star is a bookmark rather than tagging. You just click it and then that thread will show up in your bookmarks, and depending upon your settings you will also get a notification if a new comment is added to it
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,993
    @josusa47 you can try tagging me if you want to try it.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 9,456
    "This site can't tell you your text has been saved without obscuring the last few words of it? "

I would say that your obscured view is due to your browser set up. I don't get that.
    edited June 2018
    josusa47 said:

Dove, is it OK if I try it out on one of your posts, just so I can find out what ensues from tapping the star?  I don't want to do it without your consent, since I have no idea what I'm unleashing!  For all I know, people might have been tagging me left right and centre and getting the hump because I don't respond.

Of course it is  :)  but you do it by typing an '@' in front of my name ... not by 
    the star.

Tapping the star just 'bookmarks' the thread so you can find it again easily ... If you go to that list in dark green, either top right of the page or at the bottom, you'll see My Bookmarks ... and any threads you want to be able to find quickly, just put them in there by tapping the star next to the thread title. 

When I mention 'including Nora' you'll see that I typed an '@' in front of her name and that made it turn pink ... that means that she'll get a pop up alerting her to this thread next time she's online.  You have to type the name exactly as it should be...  Some people try to do it by typing @Dove and that doesn't work 'cos it's not my full name  :'(

• NoraWNoraW Posts: 393
    Hello @josusa47,

I'm sure you already have your answer now, but here is a screen shot to illustrate how to tag people, where relevant:

You should be able to change your 'Signature' after logging out and then logging back in again, but if you're struggling to do it feel free to PM me with whatever you'd like written there and I'd be more than happy to help.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Thank you everyone, that's all a lot clearer now!