water saving

hi everyone!
I was curious what do you do to save water in your garden? Or maybe you don't do it?
If it goes to me it is very important to save water. The best method that I practise since I started my adventure with gardenind is collecting rainwater and reusing the old one. I have a water butt that helps me to divert water from drainpipe. I think that it is amazing idea, because you are not wasting it, but using in a raight way. What about you?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,436
    The house design makes it impossible for me to divert water from the downpipe.  All I can do is water in the late evening to minimise evaporation.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783
    edited June 2018
    I get an ad erase of 8 inches of precipitation a year (mainly as snow).. so water butts are a waste of space and energy.  I use soaker hoses under mulch.. and water the grass with sprinklers after sunset.  My ideal would be using grey water on the garden.  Bath tub and sink water only, as I would prefer to not bother with special laundry soap and dish washer tablets.  We already use eco friendly soaps and such.. but I'd have to do further research on exactly what products are safe to use.  
    Utah, USA.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,226
    When planting baby trees or shrubs, I always put bottles beside them so the water goes straight down to the roots.  This reduces evaporation compared to watering the soil surface, and encourages the roots to grow deeper.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    Water in the evenings, only the roots of plants, never the foliage and very deeply on average three times a week, so minimising water loss through evaporation and encouraging the roots to go deep rather than growing to the surface searching for it.

Mulching thickly.

Using drip hose on the veg and throwing over shade netting when it’s very hot - helps to to stop the foliage crisping thus conserving more water as well as the plants.

Haven’t got around to setting up water butts yet but it’s on the list!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    I'm putting grit one everything as a mulch to help conserve water.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 750
    edited June 2018
    I keep a bucket right by the back door and ant time i rinse veg or rinse my hands off i chuck that water into the bucket. Any water that has no detergent goes in there and at the end of the day i have a full bucket to water the apple tree.

1 water butt and a really large water tank under the patio (water from downpipes) that my husband fitted a hand pump to. 

Thats it really
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 646
    The first litre or so of washing up water at the sink goes into a jug and into the glasshouse watering can, we have water butts either side of our 13 by 10 foot wooden glasshouse that way we catch quite a fair drop of rainwater
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,329
    I tried the water bottles sunk upside down beside the shrubs but find the snails adopt them as lovely damp homes! I'm saving used water from the sink and we do have 9 water butts (narrow ones )around the garden but they do run out quickly. 
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 208
    Dishwashing water is saved, so is the water from the washing machine and baths. We only use eco washing stuff but ordinary soap is ok too. Google 'grey water in the garden' for more ideas.