Forum home The potting shed

HELP. No rain water left for my azalia .

In this warm weather my rain water butt has dried up what  can I do? Can I use tap water?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,819
    edited June 2018
     I would use tap water better than it drying out, it not make much difference if it in the ground, jsut give it a ericaceos feed when your water butt full again. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 4,004
    If your tap water is very hard, as mine is, and you do not have any liquid acid fertilizer to add to the watering can [I usually keep some handy], then fill up a watering can, place two unused tea bags into the can and leave overnight.  Tomorrow morning you will have water suitable for your Azalias..
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,879
    Many thanks Perki  and Marlorena, Some very helpful advice from you both . 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,488
    Yes.. just letting it sit for several hours in your watering can or bucket will allow some treatment chemicals to 'evaporate'.. like chlorine, etc.  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,343
    I understand that chlorine will
    evaporate ... but what about the calcium ... my understanding is that it's the calcium content of hard water that's the problem for ericaceous plants?

We still have one butt of water left, but I've moved our blueberries to a shadier spot so they don't need as much water ....  :/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 757
    Hi Granma

As Dove says, letting water stand for several hours will get rid of the chlorine but not the calcium, and it's the latter that's detrimental to ericacious plants; I've killed a few, so I know!

However, there is hope.  Apparently, a Brita filter will remove much calcium, along with other minerals.  Worth investing in one?

On the other hand, perhaps you'd like to join me when I daily perform my Rain Dances (!)??  That's bound to bring results!
    Hi Sam ,
    budge up ,  britta and rain dance it is!!!!!!
    with The two of us something is bound to happen!!!!!!!! :|

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,292
    Careful you might get more than you bargain for, there are thunderstorms possible for today.😁💦💦💦
    Maybe we can control not only the rain but the wthunderstorms too  :p
    What do you think sam?????? B)B)
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 757
    Hi Granma

Neither cloud nor thunder, let alone any rain yet; so, I got us the authentic music and polished my headdress, ready for my 11AM dance (after coffee).  I know you'll be with me and things WILL happen!

Let's remind Him Upstairs, though, that we need rain, not deluge!  What's happening in Greece right now is upsetting.