Forum home Wildlife gardening

bird food

Is it just us, or has any one else noticed a decline in bird feeding in this hot weather?  I don't eat so much whilst the weather is hot so perhaps the birds have the same demands (or lack of).  Yes, the fat balls and suet block are still being devoured, but the nuts and sunflower seeds are proving less popular. After the frenzy of fledglings a week or two back, there is very little going on at the feeders right now.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,415
    I'm hoping the parents are off teaching the fledglings how to forage for wild food. There's a wildflower meadow not far from here that is full of sorrel in seed at the moment and it's proving to be a big draw for the local birds. Fruit is starting to ripen now too.

The birds that are feeding here seem to be the ones that are struggling to find worms and grubs with the ground so dry.
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 178
    I've noticed that the sparrows that were gobbling up the seed from the bird feeder are often now on the plants, pulling seeds from there. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,069
    We're clearly behind the rest of you, as I'm still filling the seed feeder daily, and the fat balls and peanuts are under attack from the woodpeckers and lots of new Great tits.
    The chaffinches have babies too, and I can see tiny heads peeking over the edge of the swallow's nest in the shed!
    For the last umpteen years the swallows have returned faithfully to the garage/barn, where they nest about 12 ft above the ground and have high beams to perch on. This year some calamity has befallen them all and only 3 have returned, and none to the farm next door. This despite them raising lots of healthy young last year. I thought we had no nest till my daughter spotted the mud on top of the strip light in the  other shed, so am really thankful that at least it feels like summer again, and desperately hoping a few may survive to continue here.
  • I agree with your sentiment wild edges - I was pleased to see a goldfinch attacking the knapweed seed heads the other day although my artichoke is covered in black fly but the birds don't appear to be interested in them.  We had a small outbreak of mosquittoes from the pond a few days but no birds came to sup on them. No woodpeckers here Buttercupdays although there are a few pairs in the island, I do hope your swallows return in greater numbers next year.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,832
    I only have Hedge sparrows coming to the mixture of seed,suet and mealworms,Starlings are after the peanuts,and a couple of Great tits are joining in. But no sign of the Robins or Bullfinches,who came all the time. I hope they are ok,and finding lots of insects and seeds in the wild area at the bottom of the garden.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,164
    I have a crew of house sparrows eating me out of house and home from the roost in the lilac next door. The young bluetits  that were brought to my garden are still here as are the young blackbirds. Greenfinches are only interested in the water and the robin visits occasionally.  The dunnocks are chasing each other around the garden dont know where they get their energy and the collard doves are taking the opportunity to eat the sunflower hearts in peace.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,843
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure about bird feeding but I have noticed the birds even the noisy starlings seem to be hiding/sheltering from the heat.  The only birds hanging around are crows and sea-gulls.  It is funny watching the young crows being chastised by their parents....they are still looking to be fed, poor parents are quite bedraggled looking.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 741
    There are a wealth of insects about so the garden is packed with birds here at the moment. There are a blackbird and a robin which are presumably feeding young/fledglings as they are so brazen. The blackbird in particular practically lands on my feet when Im watering anything looking for worms in the wet ground then hops around with it for a while waiting for me to move on to the next bit. She's also helping herself to the raspberries as soon as they ripen. 
    Ive also heard green woodpeckers somewhere very nearby all year, and then a couple of days ago we had a fledging sat in our ash tree calling away. Very exciting, we hear them a lot, but very rarely see them other than the odd flypast, first time Ive ever seen a fledgling though 
  • I was pleased to see two fledgling robins with two parents in our back yard a couple of days ago - not seen them before and they came from over the garden wall, so perhaps had nested over there too.  The house martins have a nest but we can't see young ones, although there appears to be some twoing and froing (?) so hopefully something good will come from all their endeavors.  We have given up hope of having any strawberries or cherries this year - birds have beaten us to them although I am determined to have some decent plums.  I could watch the birds and their antics all day, but garden maintenance has to take priority at this time of year, and I am not wishing for winter to come just yet but it was pleasant to sit watching the birds at the feeders.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    I can hear the birds in my elder hedge but they aren't coming out too often.  It's over 30 degrees here so I don't really blame them.   I've put lots of small bowls of water out as that's most likely what they really need at the moment.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!