Forum home Problem solving

Watering containers

MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
Morning all :)

Just wondering if I should be watering my containers twice a day in this excessive heat and also how long should I be watering them for? 

I tend to let the hose fill the pot to the brim and let the water sink down 2/3 times. I water them everyday but was just thinking this heat isn't what they're use to  B)

I don't have a tap outside to rig any sort of irrigation system up sadly. 

I wish it would just rain from 11pm every night till around 4am just to help out a bit  :dizzy:

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,601
    I guess it depends what kind of containers. To ensure a good soak, I generally water until it comes out of the bottom.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,829
    I do the same as Fire for the ones which aren't on the irrigation system.  Even some of the larger containers are being given a top up at the moment if I don't see water coming out of the bottom after the irrigation system has done its thing.  Water asearly and/or late in the day as you can to minimise water loss by evaporation.
    Some of my raised beds are a bit hopeless as they are so many roots and they are not lined, so watering effectively is proving impossible. Water comes through in seconds. I fear the answer to take everything, all the earth, line it with plastic, fill with manure, grit and homemade compost and put everything back.
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180
    Thanks  :)

I was out in the garden at 7 this morning and the sun was already scorching! 

Fire said:
    Some of my raised beds are a bit hopeless as they are so many roots and they are not lined, so watering effectively is proving impossible. Water comes through in seconds. I fear the answer to take everything, all the earth, line it with plastic, fill with manure, grit and homemade compost and put everything back.
    Oh what a pain  :s I need to do thia with a couple.of my larger containers as they are starting to lool like a tangled mess as everything has just taken off. I'll have to wait till it's died back after summer though. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,565
    I always water at 8pm, then they have the night to soak up, at least 12 hours,  If I do it in the morning, they are dry by lunch time.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    I'm watering my pots and newly planted stuff twice a day, 7am and around 7pm. Giving them a good drenching until the water runs out the bottom of the pots.

Feeding is important too as I worry that all the nutrients are getting flushed away. I have a hose attachment for mixing in soluble plant food that I'm using once a week.
    As others have said elsewhere, giving some kind of ground cover saves masses water - gravel, grit, woodchip, even broken bricks or tiles. Anything to stop water loss. It really works.
    Given the heat here today I will definitely be getting the hose out this evening :open_mouth:

• Jacqueline29Jacqueline29 Posts: 384
    I mainly have some plants in pots, and what I use are empty plastic milk bottles or water bottles, make little holes in the top, put a piece of cotton wool or paper towel in the lid and fill with water. Place it near to the plants in the pots and the water slowly drips into the pots and waters them. You can also buy an individual attachments to fit onto the bottles and just do as before. This certainly helps in this weather and for when you may be away for a couple of days to a week.